Building a new Gaming Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyris

Beta member
Well, I've been thinking of building a good lasting Gaming Computer to replace my very old P4 AGP Computer. My old computer is a:

Intel Pentium 4 ~ 3Ghz
Memory~ 2x 512MB ULTRA DDR PC3200 400MHz
Video Card~ AGP GeForce 6600 256MB (regular one)
Storage~ ATA something 200GB (old gray cable)

For the new one I was thinking

CASE~CM Stacker 830 ATX Full 320$
or
CASE~ Mozart TX Cube 300$
MOBO~ EVGA nForce 680i SLI 330$
CPU~ Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40ghz 320$
RAM~ OCZ Dual Channel 2048MB 200$
HDRIVE~Seagate 500GB 7200 130$
PSUPPLY~ 700-Watt ATX 180$

That's around 1500$ tehn about the video Cards, I was thinking of the new EVGA 8800 ULTRA SLI GeForce but then I dont have another 1500$ to spend on vid so basicly I'll probably buy a temporary one for the moment.

I love the Mozart Case but the CM Stacker 830 seems to have a better air flow... but the Mozart version I want is the gray one with glassless windows which I can find anywhere(Canada Here, TigerDirect.ca & NCIX.com)
+ I don't like the CM830's Front Panel, I don't like front panels for some odd reason.

What do you guys think? Good Gaming PC? Tips and Ideas is what I'm after :)

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

The CM Stacker 830 is a very nice case. Very spacious and has good airflow. The Mozart is really big and has good airflow as well. I guess it's just a matter of your preference.

Well it's a great gaming PC, but it's useless getting the Ultras in SLI and the 680i chipset. And also the 700W is highly unecessary.

For the motherboard, I would suggest you, the ASUS P5K Deluxe. It supports a native 1333MHz FSB and the upcoming 45nm processors.....unlike the 680i, where you have to update the BIOS in order to support those features. The P5K Deluxe is also cheaper.

The Ultras in SLI is a waste, because the 9 series is due in several months, and they will own the 8800Ultra. So just stick with an 8800GTS and upgrade to the 9 series.

The power supply is too much, for that kind of system. Get a 550w-600w with a lot of amps on the +12v rails. Such as the Corsair 620HX or PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w....

Yeah I saw that MOBO but then I saw it was Crossfire hmm
Crossfire<SLI? o.o

As for the power supply overkill well I plan to add more HDs, maybe Water Cooling System.. LDC.. 2 Drives CD/DVD/RW/Blue Ray ..

Anything I can add in the long run I will add probably, I just love computer and technology. Guess by the time I'll buy the vid cards, the 9 serie will be released but then again is crossfire ATI compatible with nvidia SLI vids?

you might as well wait for the 9 series to come out instead of getting SLI

Yeah I saw that MOBO but then I saw it was Crossfire hmm
Crossfire<SLI? o.o

As for the power supply overkill well I plan to add more HDs, maybe Water Cooling System.. LDC.. 2 Drives CD/DVD/RW/Blue Ray ..

Anything I can add in the long run I will add probably, I just love computer and technology. Guess by the time I'll buy the vid cards, the 9 serie will be released but then again is crossfire ATI compatible with nvidia SLI vids?

Those upgrades, are nothing for the PC Power and Cooling 610w. It's not the amount of wattage that determines the power. It's how much amps it can provide on it's +!2v rails. It has 49A, and that is more than enough to run water cooling, more HDs, more opticals, etc...

I've read that Crossfire scales better than SLI, but both technologies are not worth the performance boosts they give. It would only be worth the extra card, if you play games at really high resolutions. Such as 2560 x 1600 on a 30" LCD.

Yeah, I would. I mean, SLi doesn't even give much of a performance increase. Overclocking the VGA would probably surpass 2 cards using SLi.

it usually only doubles the FPS's

but if you are willing to wait and want to pay the outrageous markup prices on the 9series (i guarantee they will be close to $1k) otherwise you could go like i am and get one Ultra for now with a 680i board, then when the 9's come out and the prices drop add in a second Ultra.

if u had to go with either
NVIDIA or ATI
Which one would u go for?

As for myself i've always though NVIDIA>ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom