Chomping at the (64) bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I'm trying to build a computer for my girlfriend, and I have a question about CPUs. Right now the Athlon XP 3200+ is cheaper than the Athlon 64 3200+. Would it be worth it to get the XP for cheaper now, or spend extra for the 64, since that's what is on the horizon and all? Or, should I hold off altogether for a few months, until some better motherboards come out for the 64 line?

Is she a computer-enthusiast?, or does she just need something that will let her check her e-mail. If she is a computer-enthusiast or a gamer, get the 64-bit. If she only uses it to check e-mail and stuff, get the XP.

She's going to use it for email checking, web browsing, and photo/video editing. With the photo/video editing, nothing super high-tech, just some stuff with her digital camera. As for myself, I would like to get something that would be upgradeable in the future, as to not have to buy an entirely new system every couple years. I would definitely want to go with the 64 right?

True, but if she is not a gamer, the XP will do her fine for a number of years with what she wants to do. Heck, a 500MHz Pentium III is adequate for the internet and photo editing. Do what you think is best, and the Athlon 64 is the best, but all I'm saying is that it is definately overkill for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom