Hard Drive Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I'm looking to spend no more than 100 bucks on a hard drive, and I'd like to get an 80 GB model. What type of hard drive should I get, SATA, EIDE, or what? What are the main differences between the different types, and which is the best?

Don't get anything lower than ATA-133 7200 8MB buffer, which is a EIDE model. SATA and SCSI hard drives are decrease load times for games, but are also more expensive.

PizzatheHut, i happen to have a brand new Diamond Maxtor 80 GB EIDE hard drive that's never been used. Contact me for the details if you are interested. I've been waiting to unload this off my hands for several months now. I'm willing to let it go for a good deal.

Actually on some recent testing of a 10k SATA and a 10 and 15 SCSI, the SATA benched better then the 10 scsi and the 15 was not a WHOLE lot better.

Lone Wolf:

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm gonna hold off on it right now. Funds are running a little short at the moment, but I'm thinking about building in a few months. I appreciate the offer though, and I might be interested in a while, just not while I'm a poor college kid :)

HDDs completely based on SATA are the best HDDs. Make sure it isnt a PATA HDD that only uses a SATA interface... The only advantage is a cleaner connection, however there is a very small chance of data corruption (due to the conversion of Parallel to Serial)...

I am exchanging my current HDD for a Seagate Barracuda (SATA) (8 Mb).

Actually... Not ONE SATA HDD out there can reach 150 MB/S at the moment... And I was incorrect about something. The Western Digital SATA (PATA to SATA) is faster than the Seagate (Pure SATA) in reading and writing... Very suprising! IMO a 10k SATA drive will most likely reach the 150 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom