IDE to SATA question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toned

Solid State Member
Hello all,

Recently I purchased a new CPU because my old motherboard blew out.

The only problem I have is that my new unit is ALL SATA, but my HD from my other PC is IDE.

What is the easiest way to transfer all my stuff to my new SATA drive.

I would like to stay away from external HDs because I would only have access to a 1.0 USB port should I install my old HD into a temp cpu. And we all know the transfer speeds, or lack there of on 1.0 USB drives.

I heard there was a PCI card converting IDE to SATA but it is not recommended because it slows down the PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

What board is it? I have yet to see any motherboard that doesnt have at least 1 ide connection.

There is no IDE connection on this motherboard. I'm guessing you're going to have to go buy a S-ATA HDD.
ide.jpg

I have a S-ATA HD, but I need to put the stuff from my IDE to the S-ATA drive I currently have. Any ideas?

darn they give you a floppy drive connector but no ide? If you have another computer to put the drive in you could move the data via lan. or you could buy an external drive kit that would allow you to connect the old drive to the new computer via usb.

another option if you have a friend with a comp that supports ide and sata you could hook both drives to that computer and move the data that way.

Cool. Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to use the external HD.

Problem is my old CPU has 1.0 USB, so it takes an hour for like 1.5 GB.

%$&*(^$$&*% *#$@@&%#$

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom