Remote Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PwnagePanda

Baseband Member
I have a laptop with pretty good speakers but when I'm home I'd like to use the speakers and sub woofers connected to my PC, is there a way to use the speakers over the network???? if not are there other options besides connecting my speakers to my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Ehh, you might be able to get this to work using VLC. Use VLC to stream your audio across the network to another computer which has the speakers hooked up to it.

If you need more help let me know.

=/ I don't know how to use the VLC media player to do that. I recognize it and think I might have used it years ago for something simple, but I'm not sure where to start for this.

I haven't done this in a while, and never on Windows, but I'll try my best to explain.

1.) Open VLC on the source computer
2.) Go to File > Open Capture Device
I'm not sure on this next step, it's sort of operating system specific
3.) Select "none" for the video device (?) and select the proper audio device
4.) Tick the "Stream/Save" box, then click the settings button
5.) Tick the "UDP" box and enter the local IP address of the other computer. Take note of the port number (it should be defaulted to 1234)
6.) Click OK on both open windows so you're back at the main VLC window. If everything is working it should now be streaming. Play some music or something so you can get it set up on the other end.

7.) Head to the other computer, open VLC, and go to File > Open Network Stream
8.) Tick the UDP/RTP box, make sure the port is the same as it was in step 5
9.) Click OK. Hopefully you should hear your music playing from the other computer.

If the sound is choppy, go back to the Stream/Save settings on the source computer and selecting an audio codec. This should reduce the amount of bandwidth needed to stream your audio. I dunno how well your network will be able to support streaming raw audio, especially if you're using wireless.

See if you can get that working. If you need any more help just holler. I might try this out myself in the next day or two just for kicks, so if you don't have it working by then I will probably be able to give you specifics.

@AtomicAudio: It depends on what transcoding options you set in the Stream/Save settings. If your network can handle it, it could theoretically be the same quality as the source. Again, I plan to try this soon, so I will let you know.

No problem. I actually tried it yesterday and I wasn't able to stream the output of my sound card, but streaming individual sound files is a breeze. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom