Determining the size of a stick of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun343

Beta member
I need to know how to determine how big a stick of RAM is just by looking at it, without putting it in a computer, and without looking at stickers on the RAM.

I know this can be done, so please do not tell me that it is impossible. I need to do this for work, and the guy I work for did it, and he was right every time. He did not look at stickers on the RAM, but he may have looked at labels on the integrated circuits. He did not tell me how to do this, I think he expected me to know.

Any help with this would be VERY appreciated. Thank you.

Hey sun343,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Just by looking at it? Without looking at the label? It would be hard if you don't know the model of it, first.

There were no stickers on the RAM, but there were labels on it that were not removable.

Thanks for the help in advance.

So what does the other label say? You can just google it, and you'd find some info on it.

Maybe I should clarify this further.

Basically I have a giant box of old RAM and I'm supposed to sort them by size. I'm not around a computer and I can't Google the labels on each chip. Somehow I'm supposed to glance at the stick, and put it in the correct place.

It seems like every stick of RAM I look at has 8 chips on each side, and I guess thicker chips means that the ICs are stacked on top of one another, so it doubles the RAM size. I guess there is a way to tell how big it is by seeing how thick the chips are?

wow...That's pretty hard, unless you really know your RAM. What do the labels say, on one of the chips? And since you said it's old RAM, is it DDR? or SDR? How many grooves are on the RAM's connectors? One or two?

Sorry I'm not sure what the labels say because I'm not at work right now. I have to work on this project tomorrow, and I don't want to look like an idiot.

The RAM isn't real old, it should be all DDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom