Budgets vs. Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdawg

In Runtime
I thought this might be a funny little thread.

Post what your budgets were that you started out with and what your builds actually cost you. I'll start.

Antec 900
Q6600 SLACR
P5k Deluxe
Zalman
OCZ DDR2800
XFX 8800GTS
Coolermaster 550W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 320G
LiteON DL DVD-RW

Began the process wanting to only spend $1,100 tops. From reading forums, remembering that I need a new OS, and after all rebates, MIR, etc I'm now looking at a $1,275 build.

Edit: Nevermind I don't need the OS - I figured something out :)

I had a $900 budget, to upgrade the processor, RAM, and motherboard. But I ended up buying a whole new system. I don't know how, but somehow I got the the following:

E6400
P5N-E SLI
Corsair XMS2 2 x 1GB
Sapphire X1950PRO 256MB
HIPER 580W
Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller
Seagate 7200.10 320GB and WD Caviar SE16 250GB
3 x 140mm case fans, 2 x 120mm case fans
Windows XP Home
Sceptre X22WG 22"
Enermax Aurora keyboard
Logitech MX518
Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burner
Zalman CNPS9500 & VF900

And it ended up costing somewhere near $2000. At the time I bought these things, it was January, so things were sky high.

$900 budget based on "birthday and grad money"...yeah...RIGHT. I got like $400. Had a job by May and eventually bought an $1100 system last august.

This march I sold parts and spent $200 or so and have the current system. This hobby is VERY expensive. And with few decent games out now = AUGH.

Actually my budget was about $1300, then I came to this forum, decided to build my own pc, and it only cost me $1200 with shipping and tax for a better pc than I was going to get.

Actually my budget was about $1300, then I came to this forum, decided to build my own pc, and it only cost me $1200 with shipping and tax for a better pc than I was going to get.

Congrats on your build. Tech Forums prevails.

Sadly, I built this computer Christmas 2004 and wasn't a member of Tech Forums yet. But ever since, I have learnt alot.

luckily tho, while it is expensive, if you accept not having the best, it works ok. Especially since you can reuse alot of parts (ie cd/dvd drives, sometimes a psu, hd's) and i have had this computer for like 10 months and am just now replacing it, well half of it :)

luckily tho, while it is expensive, if you accept not having the best, it works ok. Especially since you can reuse alot of parts (ie cd/dvd drives, sometimes a psu, hd's) and i have had this computer for like 10 months and am just now replacing it, well half of it :)

Who's this directed towards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom