Explorer malfunctioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

IF06

In Runtime
Okay, here's the problem; something's wrong with my explorer. Each time a program would stop responding, I would normally just force it to close. That's how I set it up in the registry to save time. And that's how I've always done it, but now explorer would occasionally mess up on me. All the other windows work though, such as Firefox, MirandaIM, etc. But anything that had to do with Explorer freezes/ stops responding such as the folders and what ever.

And each time I minimize something, I can't get it back to a window.

Now, I'd normally restart explorer by closing it on task manager. The problem now is that Task Manager won't even open when this error occurs. So I'd have to close down using the power button.

What should I do?

I'm thinking maybe roll back to a week ago? Do you think that would do anything? I mean, I'd have no data lost, I would think, right?

I forgot how the roll backs work, are the softwares installed between today and a week ago just going to uninstall itself?

You would have no data lost, except what is in the registry. It does not always work as one would hope, but usually does.

Would recommend antivirus, but the best way is to just reinstall Windows. What's so important on your computer anyways?

The pride that I don't want to be defeated by this inconvenience? I think it mostly happens when WinRAR tries to unzip something...

The pride that I don't want to be defeated by this inconvenience? I think it mostly happens when WinRAR tries to unzip something...

Heh, fair enough, I don't necessarily feel defeated by a problem I can't solve without reinstallation. I couldn't really help you, once it reaches this point, I figure it's time to back up and reinstall.

Good luck however, I hope you get it working.

Darn, I'm not sure about the rollback, if it's going to fix everything. It's starting to get more frequent now, with random freezing. And each time it happens, I think my harddrive makes a weird noise.

I win.

But I was worried about the sounds my hard drive was making, I kept thinking it was a hardware issue.

None of my programs have frozen so far since I've last restore my settings to a week ago; I'm waiting for one to malfunction and see how it goes. For now, it's been running smooth for a good 18 hours.

I WIN.

YES MUTHA CHOCOLATE!

You win for now. That doesnt mean that tweaking your registry the way you have hasnt caused a problem that will cause this issue to arise again. What then? Will you have truly won if the problem comes back. Will you have won when the problem gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom