Overclocking questions 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafguy81

In Runtime
I have heard about overclocking all the time but, I want to know the facts about it before I consider it myself.

The questions I have are

Life span of overclocking a quad cpu vs non oc quad cpu?

When the overclock cpu dies you replace cpu only or does it mean you replace cpu motherboard everytime?

Would you only recommend overclocking if you build a system yourself vs buying it from a online vendor.

I realize this might be a dumb question but, I was always curious and I have asked people but, they never really gave me more of an answer then it shortens the life of your computer.

Life span of a CPU ranges from 8-10 years. But I know nobody is going to use their CPU that long.

Once the lifespan of your CPU dies, then it dies. You get a new one and overclock it again. You don't have a need to change your motherboard unless you get a different socket CPU then the one that you had.

Both would be an okay option. Some people rather build their own computer since it will be nearly the same price as a pre-built computer and it has a range of choices for products.

Well don't worry about asking loads of questions, because someone will always explain it to you.

Overclocking really does shorten the lifespan of the CPU but only by 1-2 years. I mean, are you actually going to use your CPU to the full lifespan? I don't think so, because I wouldn't. Overclocking is really just to get a better performance out of the component. Makes your computer run faster if you do everything correctly, and it's pretty fun learning how to overclock and all. :D

It's not a good idea. Mostly the bottleneck is RAM, not your CPU. There are very few things that would be helped by actually overclocking your already decent CPU.

Be careful, I would recommend you follow the rules if you do not have the money to replace the processor, as it was set in such a way for a reason.

Life span of a CPU ranges from 8-10 years. But I know nobody is going to use their CPU that long.

Once the lifespan of your CPU dies, then it dies. You get a new one and overclock it again. You don't have a need to change your motherboard unless you get a different socket CPU then the one that you had.

Both would be an okay option. Some people rather build their own computer since it will be nearly the same price as a pre-built computer and it has a range of choices for products.

nmnmnm

Well don't worry about asking loads of questions, because someone will always explain it to you.

Overclocking really does shorten the lifespan of the CPU but only by 1-2 years. I mean, are you actually going to use your CPU to the full lifespan? I don't think so, because I wouldn't. Overclocking is really just to get a better performance out of the component. Makes your computer run faster if you do everything correctly, and it's pretty fun learning how to overclock and all. :D

I'm glad everyone is cool about helping. I can see another advantage is you can pay 300 for a oc cpu that does equal of better then 1000 cpu.

Yeah, well, building your own computer, will give you a different variety in choosing parts. If you were planning to build a computer, with an Intel Processor here's a list of what would be good for a self-built computer.

Motherboard : Gigabyte P35-DS3R
RAM : Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 - PC6400
Video Card : EVGA 8800GTS 320mb 500MHz
CPU : Intel Quad Core Q6600 w/ G0 Stepping
PSU : Corsair 520HX or Xclio Great Power 550W
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS
Optical Drive : Uh, I do not know about this, someone can help you with it
Case : CoolerMaster Centurion 5

Those are very good components for a great price.

Any chance of getting say a 2.4 quad to 3.8 range

Of course I'm waiting for the 45 mm cpu's

Yes you can. With decent cooling, [I.E.: Tuniq Tower 120] and a good motherboard [I.E.: Gigabyte P35-DS3R, P5B Deluxe, StrikerExtreme(no one really recommends this board)] then you will be able to go to 3.8. But there will be tests and such others before you can get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom