Saving files with the same name - annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belts

Beta member
Is there a way to make it so that I don't have to manually rename every file I save if there is already a file with the same name? Say I have a folder where I am saving a lot of pictures names 01. I don't want to keep manually renaming them. Is there a way to set it to automatically rename the files to something like 01(1), 01(2), 01(3), etc.? I run Vista, if that's any help.

Hey Belts,
Welcome to T.F.!!

I use a program called File and MP3 Renamer, and it works great in renaming a large number of files, that have the same prefix or suffix.

Hello. Thanks for the welcome. :)

I just downloaded File and MP3 Renamer 2006, which appears to be the latest. It doesn't seem to support Vista. Also, I'm not sure if it's exactly what I am looking for.

I need something that automatically adds a prefix or suffix as I save it, if there is already a file with the same name. Maybe I read a bad description, but it looks like File and MP3 Renamer only renames files that are already on your computer. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, cause it didn't work. :(

have you tried to highlight the files, press "f2" and name the first file like 01 (1)?
In XP, all the other files get renamed to 01 (2), 01 (3), etc.

The files that I want to be renamed aren't on my computer yet. Let me explain better. I am saving a lot of pictures to one folder. Most of the pictures are already numerically named on the website. I don't want to manually rename them when I save them, but a lot of them are the same (e.i. a lot of 01).

Of course, since I have so many files already and I can't keep track of the names, a lot of the time I go to save something and it says "01.jpg already exists, would you like to replace it?" Obviously I don't want to replace it, since they are different pictures, but I don't want to be hassled with trying to figure out what number isn't used yet so I can rename and save it.

There has to be a way to get rid of that annoying prompt and just make Windows add a prefix or a suffix to the name, right?

what website?

Not any particular one. I am just theoretically speaking. Just think of any website that has pictures with common names. They are all going to one folder so at the moment I have to manually rename files with the same name. There HAS to be some kind of program or setting in Vista, maybe, that renames them for me as I save them... right? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom