PCI-SIG Announces PCI Express 3.0 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
"The PCI Special Interest Group, or PCI-SIG, this week announced the speeds of the latest evolution to the PCI Express specification – PCI Express 3.0, also known as PCIe 3.0. PCIe 3.0 doubles the transfer rate of PCIe 2.0, bringing overall throughput to 8 gigatransfers per second, or GT/s.

PCI-SIG is designing the PCIe 3.0 standard for increased performance, but maintain backwards compatibility with PCIe and PCIe 2.0 devices. The group managed to double throughput of the existing PCIe 2.0 standard by removing the 8b/10b-encoding scheme used. The 8b/10b-encoding scheme took 20 percent overhead on the overall raw bit rate, according to the group. The PCIe 3.0 standard also includes new signaling and data integrity enhancements.

PCIe 3.0 remains in development and isn't slated for finalization until 2009. The group doesn't expect industry adoption of the upcoming standard until 2H 2010-2011 timeframe, according to Yanes. The group is unsure which companies will support the upcoming PCIe 3.0 specification, but hints there are 900 companies that are part the PCI-SIG group that push the technology.

In addition to doubling the transfer speeds of PCIe 2.0, the group is actively looking at new protocol extensions for PCIe 3.0, according to Yanes. The group wants to enhance the specification with better efficiency and power management techniques through protocol extensions.

Expect PCI-SIG to release the official PCIe 3.0 specification in 2009."

Source

hmm this is very interesting.......looks like we have 3-4 years to enjoy PCI-E 2.0 before 3.0 becomes finalized n standard for future graphics cards.

I wonder how many people will start saying dont buy 9800 wait for pci-e2, then someone comes in and says dont buy pci-e2 yet pci-e3 is right around the corner

I wonder how many people will start saying dont buy 9800 wait for pci-e2, then someone comes in and says dont buy pci-e2 yet pci-e3 is right around the corner

well i think its perfect to buy the 9800, because it is PCI-E 2.0 n 3.0 wont come around until 2010-11, so 3-4 years is a good long wait before another upgrade.

same goes with the R700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom