Computer won't boot up with new memory installed...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisoreeves

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I just bought a computer not too long ago from ascendtech.us The setup is as follows: Intel D101GGC Motherboard, Intel Pentium D 940 3.20Ghz processor, 80gb hard drive, Samsung DVD Burner. The memory that came with it was only 256mb PC2700 333Mhz DDR. I purchased two sticks of 1GB PC3200 400Mhz DDR memory off of eBay from fastmemoryman. When they came in, I took out the 256 and installed the two 1GB sticks. The computer would not boot up. After trying a few times, it wouldn't even show the BIOS motherboard start up screen. I tried installing just one of them, trying both sticks, and it wouldn't boot up that way. I put in one of the 1GB sticks plus the old 256mb stick, and it boots up just fine. I tried both sticks that way and they both work along with the 256. There is only room for two sticks of memory.

What could be wrong here? Is there a setting I could change in the BIOS? Is it because this motherboard can't handle 400Mhz memory even though it states that it can on the Intel web site?

Thanks so much in advance!

Chris

Hey chrisoreeves,
Welcome to T.F.!!

phucng_10.....His motherboard does support up to 2GB of RAM.

chris....Get a program called memtest 86. Download the ISO, and burn it onto a CD, and boot the computer off it. This program will run automatically and scan your RAM for errors. If errors pop up, they're bad sticks.

also, you could try installing one stick at a time, as you may be able to get one of the two to work.

also, you could try installing one stick at a time, as you may be able to get one of the two to work.

I already tried that.....same result. The only way I can get it to boot up with the new memory is with the old 256mb stick installed along with one of the 1GB new sticks.

Thanks for the info so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom