Mobo with vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba0315

In Runtime
My dad just got a ASUS P4R800-VM. It says it has ATI Radeon 9200 Integrated graphics. Does this mean that I don't necesarrily need a vid card right now? ATI's are good, I know, but I don't know if it will work good until I can save up for another vid card. And is this mobo good? I'm upgrading my comp now, and he had ordered the stuff, b4 I told him what I wanted, and I don't know how good this one is. If anybody knows about or uses this mobo, information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike

It's a fairly nice board. Its not the newest or best technology, but it's definatelly an upgrade.

Here's what comes on the board.
ATI RADEON 9200-based GPU
Dual-channel DDR400
AGP 8X
ASUS MyLogo2
ASUS EZ Flash
3COM 10/100Mbps LAN
S/PDIF out on back I/O port

The one thing you might consider getting (if you can get your dad to return it) is a board that suports SATA hard drives.

But other than that. THe ATI 9200 is a nice video card for lower end gaming. It'll probably puke at games like Farcry, Quake 3 and the likes. But for lower games like Half Life, COD, Halo (low res) it'll work just fine.

THe ATI 9200 is a nice video card for lower end gaming. It'll probably puke at games like Farcry, Quake 3 and the likes. But for lower games like Half Life, COD, Halo (low res) it'll work just fine.

True, and an integrated ATI Radeon 9200 will be worse than a non-integrated. This is because the integrated card will use system memory instead of its own and it will use CPU power for graphics.

Well, now after I upgrade (mobo, cpu, os, case, memory, power supply)... I'm savin for a nice monitor (hopefully lcd), and then a video card... Should I get the vid card first? I'll have almost 200, so I could get one, but when I'm only a couple hundred from a nice monitor, I kind of wanted to go for that first... lmk what you guys think...

thanks

Well, that depends up to you.. If you are heavy into gaming then ANY intergrated card is going to drive you insane.. If you do little to no gaming then just leave the 9200 there.. If you do any gaming at all with any new(er) games, then I do not recommend the onboard 9200, you wont even be able to start 80% of the newer games..

If you are a hardcore gamer I woudl suggest going with atleast a 9600 XT (150 from newegg)

Well, he said if I didn't like it (integrated 9200), then he'd give me his 9800, so I think it will all work out :). I'm not hardcore, but I like my games!!! Thanks a lot guys, the fast response was very much appreciated! :D

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom