Gfx card help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas_t

Solid State Member
Well basically I'm tired of using my onboard gfx card and want a decent card which can play 1.6 through smokes!!! and cs source.

I've got an AMD athlon x2 dual core process 3800+ and my motherboard is PCI express on the gfx slot.

I was thinking of getting either of these

Asus GeForce EN7600GS Silent HTD 256MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

OcUK GeForce 7600 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

And what are the differences between branded gfx cards?

I'm buying from Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK or
Overclockers UK

Cheers! :)

The only difference between the different branded GFX cards is: cooling solution, special offers (like eVGA step up option) and sometimes some come bundeled with gaes. Basically, the card itself is the same. Out of those, I would go with the GT- more performance in games.

Also, before you make the upgrade, I would advise you to check out your PSU- not only the Watts but also the Amps- you may need to upgrade that aswell.

EDIT: If you want to have much more performance, for only a little boost in price, I would reccomend this:

OcUK ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Though it may be loud, and I would also reccomend that you DEFINATELY check your PSU before buying that, as it is fairly power-demanding.

Even if you are buying a 7600GT, still check if you have enough power.
The GT is faster.

The 8600GTS is another good option if you want to spend a little more.

I can help but mention that THE SILENT 7600GS HAD DDR2 AND THE GT HAS DDR3.. just thought that should be included when someone says the cards are essentially the same

DDR3= BETTER PERFORMANCE

also the clock speeds are far faster on the 7600GT card

Ok I'm going to go with what Vaanish suggested how do I check if I have enough power for it?. I suck with comps :[.

The 7600GT, according to newegg, requires 350watts with 18amps. Or if you're running SLI 400watts/24amps.

Try to go slightly above that to be safe. You can usually check these specs on the labels on your power supply, or on the Specs of the power supply you would be buying off the internet.

This is what it says on the label of the PSU.
WIN POWER
MODEL : ATX - 500 L
MAX. OUTPUT POWER IS 500W ver2
----------------------------------------------------------------
INPUT: | OUTPUT:
115 VAC | +12V1 12A MAX
8A MAX | +12V2 15A MAX
60 Hz | +5V 28A MAX
230 VAC | +3.3V 18A
5A MAX | +12V 0.5A
50 Hz | +3V/SB 2.0A MAX

Is that enough to run the Radeon or the 7600 GT?

Thanks again help is really appreciated :]

Do you mean the 1950PRO?

Yea the one you mentioned from OcUK. I know my power supply aint good because my cousin who built the comp likes to skimp on things so if the PSu cant run the 1950pro then a good value gfx card which my PSU can run would be good. I just have no clue whats worth the money I am only interested in gaming from the GFX card.

Thanks again :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom