USB Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernTantalus

Baseband Member
I put some sleeves on my cables, replaced the processor fan, added a couple sticks of ram, and replaced my 120mm fans. After doing all this I'm having problems with my USB ports. Sometimes my keyboards will act screwy and the video on my webcam is jumpy and jumbled. I have the same drivers on my webcam as before the mods and the cam works on my other computer, so I know there's nothing wrong with the cam. I should also state that the webcam doesn't work in any of the USB drives. None of the 4 on board or the two expansion or the two on the front of the PC. Any advice or suggestions as to what might have went wrong?

You may have over taxed you power supply with all of the extra case fans, more ram and better cpu. Either that or you may have inadvertently unplugged one of the connectors to the usb headers on the mobo when you are working on it. makes sure the usb cables are all plugged in to the headers, if it still dosent work you may need more power.

what is your psu?

This definitely sounds like a loosened usb header. It's probably just not connected on one corner. Switch slots if you accidentally bent some pins, you should ahve at least 2 usb spots.

We'll, the problem is in all the slots. I have 4 on board ports, 2 ports on an expansion slot back where the cards are, and two on the front of the computer. I thought about it being a connection problem, but since it happens on all of my USB ports I'm not so sure.

So I tried disconnecting the front and expansion USB ports and it's still the same thing with the on board USB ports being the only ones connected. This leads me to think it's the mobo. Anything I can do short of replacing it?

I understand, but open your case and at least re-seat the usb header, it can only go on one way and must be on all the way if you want everything to work. There are 2 or 3 places to plug the USB header in to, it can only go one way because it looks like a 10 pin header, but one pin is nothing so you have to match it up. It doesn't matter which of the 2 or 3 places you plug it in to as long as it's the right way and no pins are bent. Make sure your power is unplugged before doing this since it takes in a 5 volt charge.

If you're 100 billion percent positive they are on there like they should be, then go and check your BIOS options. Somehow one of your USB controllers could have been disabled, so make sure both USB Controller and USB 2.0 Controller are set to enabled.

IF you're still having problems, unplug all your USB items, and see if they work by themselves. I'm making this up and have no idea if this would be a viable trouble shooting option, but it's worth a shot right? It would be a plus to see if the computer is still recognizing them as you plug them in. Last thing I can think of is reinstalling your USB controller drivers.

I've tried the suggested steps and even went so far as to delete my harddrive and reinstall everything from scratch. Still no luck.

Well if that's really the case, then it surely points towards a problem with your usb connector. I would wait for some more input from other techies before replacing your board though.

EDIT: on second thought, buy a new mobo and overclock :)

My keyboard stopped acting up. Might it be just this webcam that's the issue and another webcam might work? I mean, it wasn't a problem before the upgrade and the cam works on my other computer, but it makes no sense that all my other USB devices work without a hitch. I guess I'll try to get my hands on a different webcam model before freaking out too much, although I'd still appreciate all the input I can get. This is just wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom