Power Supply Wattage? (Newb question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i commented first about us all commenting on the same time, but i edited my post to

"i was about to comment on that..."

when Sora beat me to it :)

... EDIT get that Xclio Goodpower 500 b1gapl recommended

that may work too.... ^ since he said he eventually wanted dual-8800gts' so... maybe that PSU would do

I would get the xclio Goodpower or a Rosewill RP550...both are 50-55 bucks and will handle a GTX with dual core....especially a GTS

Ok, so I like the difference in $50 instead of $100, but what exactly are the differences? What am I sacrificing, if I went with the cheaper of these two power supplies? And why did the company I buy from tell me I should get a 750 watt?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
Newegg.com - XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Retail

The Corsair has many more amps on it which is what you need to run SLI. The Goodpower will not SLI 8800GTS's (unless you are incredibly barebone and stock)

Basically the Corsair 520 has more amps for like a quad-core and gts if needed. The Goodpower has enough to run a dual core and 8800GTS overclocked

EDIT: The company you bought from probably told you to get a 750w becuase even the CRAPIEST 750w better **** sure have enough amps to run a good card. There are 550w PSU with NO AMPERAGE and horrible stabaility that you could buy...if its for SLI then most 520w PSU's cannot handle it but the Corsair is an exception as its extreme quality. Trust us over the company who knows not to much

Another question, since I'm sure once I'm done typing this I'll have a couple replies already :p

I'm looking at a new case as well, since the airflow in my Tuniq basically sucks. With the 8800 (which is huge I hear), will a mid tower case work? Will there be many heat issues? I already had heat issues with the 7600 and they're pretty small. Would something like this case work with the 8800?

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Smilodon Extreme Black ATX-612WEB SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseNo Power Supply - Retail

Or should I go with something with more fans like this?

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom