Power Supply Wattage? (Newb question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deady

Solid State Member
Hola,

Right now I have an SLI motherboard with 2x 7600GS cards. I am upgrading my system to a new motherboard and I'm going to replace my cards for a single 8800GTS. Question is, is that my power supply is a 420w standard and I doubt that it'll cut it for the 8800GTS. whats the lowest wattage I could safely go for with that card? Keep in mind i DO NOT want to SLI it at this time, just one 8800.

Thanks.

It all depends on the number of amps on the +12V rail, not the wattage. What the PSU model number?

the wattage isn't as important as the amperage coming off the 12v rails. Look at the side of the PSU and tell me what the 12v's read.

Hola,

Right now I have an SLI motherboard with 2x 7600GS cards. I am upgrading my system to a new motherboard and I'm going to replace my cards for a single 8800GTS. Question is, is that my power supply is a 420w standard and I doubt that it'll cut it for the 8800GTS. whats the lowest wattage I could safely go for with that card? Keep in mind i DO NOT want to SLI it at this time, just one 8800.

Thanks.

need more info besides ur wattage.. i need like a brand name, model.. amps on the dual 12v... just give the model/name and i'll look it up,

It's not exactly wattage, that determines how powerful a power supply is, but how many amps it has on it's +12v rails. Can you see your power supply's label, and check how much amps on the +12v rails?

holy cow....we all four posted at the same, about the same thing.

i love how we all said the same thing and didn't notice anyone elses posts hah but yes check the side of the unit

I'm guessing his amps on the +12v rails, are somewhere around 25-28 amps, which is the minimum for an 8800GTS.

OK, wow...

thanks for the 23897298372 replies in one minute hahaha :p

Lets say I need a new power supply entirely cause this ones about shot anyway, I had to send my computer in because of heating issues and because the power supply is basically screwed. They're replacing it with the exact same one, but I kind of suspect its a low quality thing and I need a better one. What's the cheapest I could go without risking something to my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom