Is this enough for a Media PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator7

Daemon Poster
I have this old computer that's about 5 years old. It's a gateway with 128mb of ram (226 mhz), a 1.2ghz AMD Athlon, and integrated graphics. (Has an AGP 4x Slot not used)

My question is, if I upgrade the ram to the maximum 1gb, keep the CPU, add a bigger HD and keep the integrated graphics will I:

a.) Be able to run Win XP Pro or MCE with basic tasks such as Media Player
b.) Be able to run an HD/NTSC Tv tuner at good quality?
c.) Be able to run a 22" 1680X1050 monitor?

Will this work out ok for a media center PC?

I have this old computer that's about 5 years old. It's a gateway with 128mb of ram (226 mhz), a 1.2ghz AMD Athlon, and integrated graphics. (Has an AGP 4x Slot not used)

My question is, if I upgrade the ram to the maximum 1gb, keep the CPU, add a bigger HD and keep the integrated graphics will I:

a.) Be able to run Win XP Pro or MCE with basic tasks such as Media Player
b.) Be able to run an HD/NTSC Tv tuner at good quality?
c.) Be able to run a 22" 1680X1050 monitor?

Will this work out ok for a media center PC?

nope... it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for MCE so thats a no...

uhhhh....what?

I've ran MCE on worse PCs...

Why wouldn't it meet the minimum requirements?

1.2ghz? 1gb Ram?

I think it would work, but MCE sucks anyway.

Knopmyth or Ubuntu + Mythbox is better.

Yeah i'm thinking of just upping the ram to 1gb, getting XP pro and just using windows Media Player 11, some DVD playing and some TV tuner stuff.

No, your graphics card won't be able to run @ 1680x1050. Nor will an AGP 4x card.

And I highly doubt that your CPU will be able to do anything worthwhile, like TV Tuner.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it would be more wise to save a build new - you will be much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom