New computer system and new user :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastasauce

Baseband Member
Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself to the Tech-Forums community, my name is Joe (Pastasauce) and I have recently discovered the wonder that is computer building :D .

I began researching computer parts in general and looking at different models for the last two months. My current computer is about 3 years old and when initially purchased, I did not intend to do any gaming. Simply, I wanted something that could type assignments and print them. As I got more into the World Wide Web, I began playing small MMORPG's and moved onto things like WoW and CounterStrike. My PC was doing fine with these games but ran very slow. So recently I thought about upgrading. After taking apart my computer I realized the upgrades would cost an excess of $1000! So, I might as well get a brand new, top of the line, computer rig.

After countless hours spent on New-egg and different quotes I have finally obtained my "Master Plans" as it were.

Without further ado: (Sorry for the long intro)

Asus Striker Extreme 775 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
2GB of DDR 800 Apacer
Creative Sound Blaseter X-FI XtremeGamer
Enermax 535Watt ATX power Supply
Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cach
20X LG DVD Writer Dual Layer
Antec Med Tower ATX Case
Samsung 225WB 22” 5ms DVI Wide Screen
Geforce 8800GTX XFX 768MB DDR3 Graphicds Card
1 Serial, 1 parallel, 6 USB Port

What are your thoughts/opinons on this new rig? Do you think it will last a while to play things like Age of Conan, Crysis, Starcraft 2 etc? Should I change anything?

Thanks in advance for your contribution. Appreciated.

~Joe

Drop the Striker Extreme, and get either the Gigabyte P35-DS3R or the ASUS P5K Deluxe. The Striker is not worth the price tag.

I have a nearby computer hardware store. And to b1gapl: I'm actually getting a great deal on the Striker. So do you think those motherboards you suggested are better or just more cost-efficient? To peter: Does the power source matter greatly? Or is it just as mentioned above, more cost-efficient? Thanks for the quick responses by the way :D .

~Joe

the GB DS3R is better then the Striker IMO because its alot cheaper, overclocks like a dream, and it is more future proof

The motherboards I suggested, are futureproof for the upcoming Intel processors. And they're monster overclockers as well.

fade2black beat me to it.

Looks pretty identical to what i just built, except you can afford the video card i want :( So far i have had 0 problems with the gigabyte p35-ds3r and q6600. What you save on the gigabyte board you can spend on getting a better cooler for the quad as the stock heatsink is pretty underwhelming. Also depending on the price of the monitor you might look at going to 24" because that allows you to up your resolution from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom