First Time Builder Seeking Advice and Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlefront115

Baseband Member
I am new to building computers and this will be my first one. I spent my whole spring/summer saving my money to buy the componets for a new computer. I will manly use this computer for gaming. Please take a look at my build and feel free to post any suggestions. I am trying to cut this list down to make the computer cheaper without sacraficing performace or quality. Also, I want to make sure I didnt miss any componets I may need including cables for each componet, thermal grease, IDE or SATA cables (I am completely confused on the difference between the 2 and wether my motherboard come with enough cables) or any other things so please feel free to tell me if I am missing something.

Processor - E6750
Micro Center Online - the center of .computer shopping

Power Supply - Corsair 520 (I am looking to go cheaper on this but if it is possible I would prefer modular)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Motherboard - P35-DS3 (I noticed gigabyte offered cheaper versions and am unsure what the difference between them are)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1gb ddr2 800
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Graphics Card - EVGA 8800GTS
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Hard Drive - Seagate 250gb 7200.10
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case - NZXT Lexa
Newegg.com - NZXT LEXA BlackLine Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CD/DVD Burner - Samsung
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM

Heatsink - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Monitor - Samsung 216BW
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1(1000:1) - Retail

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium (not sure if this is the right one to buy)
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

I plan to purchase all the parts from NewEgg except for the processor because I found a better deal at my local retailer. I have a keybaord, mouse, and speakers already. Thanks for any help :D

Is the after market HS absolutley necessary? I wouldn't OC the CPU much perhaps 3.0 GHZ max, and was wondering if thats possible on the stock heatsink. Also if I plan to purchase the after market heatsink at a later point is it difficult to remove the stock one and replace it with the one I have listed? I read somewhere that the thermal grease melts itself on to the CPU so I was unsure how difficult it is to remove when switching heatsinks. Also does the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro come with thermal grease pre applyed?

AM HSF is not necessary if you don't O/C. But buying one for the heck of it will help the CPU run cooler, thus faster. The TP doesn't melt. It is usually ALWAYS at a peanut butter consistency.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro does come with TP. Just buy one and install it the time.

Finally a new member who actually did his homework around here, unlike most new members. Good job!

Hey Battlefront,

Get the Corsair 520HX, from buy.com....alot cheaper:
Buy.com - Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX

is buy.com just as good and trustworthy as newegg? also am i missing any cables for the monitor or any sata cables or anything? I breifly talked to a bestbuy employee and he told me I needed to buy a dual link DVI cable because the one the monitor came with he said was cheap quality, is this true? I already purchased the monitor and it does have a DVI cable but I have no idea how good it is.

I bought a few parts from buy.com, and the service was great.

The DVI cable included with the monitor, should suffice enough.

All the SATA cables you need, is included with the motherboard.

Don't worry. A cheap DVI cable should suffice. Buy when you realize you need it. Same with other cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom