System32 file missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'm in need of some assistance, my mother just it brought me a PC of one of his friend's daughter to me for fix it and I'm getting the exact problem when I turn on the PC it shows up:

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. "

The problem is that I have already inserted the XP cd in the DVD-ROM and in the BIOS I already change the first boot device to CD-ROM the thing is that when i boot the computer it tells me to " Press any key to boot from CD" when I press any button it show me the exact message above about " Windows could not start because... bla bla bla." and it just stay there I even tried Ctrl + Alt + Del and it doesn't work I have to do a hard reset. I Don't know what else to do thats why I came to you guys :).

Thnx in advance and sorry for the long post but is the only way that you guys can understand what is my problem after all English is my second language ;) .

Guys I'm in need of some assistance, my mother just it brought me a PC of one of his friend's daughter to me for fix it and I'm getting the exact problem when I turn on the PC it shows up:

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. "

The problem is that I have already inserted the XP cd in the DVD-ROM and in the BIOS I already change the first boot device to CD-ROM the thing is that when i boot the computer it tells me to " Press any key to boot from CD" when I press any button it show me the exact message above about " Windows could not start because... bla bla bla." and it just stay there I even tried Ctrl + Alt + Del and it doesn't work I have to do a hard reset. I Don't know what else to do thats why I came to you guys :).

Thnx in advance and sorry for the long post but is the only way that you guys can understand what is my problem after all English is my second language ;) .
you'll need to use a PS/2 keyboard. A lot of the time, the BIOS won't recognise input from USB keyboard.
Or see if "Legacy USB" is enabled in the BIOS. But that doesn't work with all keyboards, though.

you'll need to use a PS/2 keyboard. A lot of the time, the BIOS won't recognise input from USB keyboard.
Or see if "Legacy USB" is enabled in the BIOS. But that doesn't work with all keyboards, though.

OMG.... YOU ARE A GOD SEND THANK YOU!!!!!

Seriously... Thnx for your help, you save me big TIME :) .

I'm having the same problem with the "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM"
But when i put in the restore cd and i choose "boot from cd" it brings up an "A" command prompt like it wants me to type something but i dont know what to type.

i think it might have something to do with me not actually having a windows xp install cd i have an emachines restore cd and i had to have my motherboard replaced a while back.. so im thinking since its not the original emachines motherboard it wont work, but i've tried installing it again and it goes thru the whole process but it never actually fixes it..
:(
do you think that could be the problem?
what should i do?
PLEASE HELP!
:confused:

use these commands:
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\system
del C:\windows\system32\config\system /q
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

The first command is not really necessary, but it keeps the original 'system' file (though it is now corrupt)
*edit*
i think it might have something to do with me not actually having a windows xp install cd i have an emachines restore cd and i had to have my motherboard replaced a while back
"restore CD's" are often just XP CD's, but with a few things added by the manufacturer.
But if your restore CD is not like that, then yes, you'll need an XP CD.

A regular XP CD should give you the option to install Windows (enter), use the re recovery console (r), or quit (F3)

*edit*
I found something else you can use: a bootable recovery console image
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

you will need to use a program like Nero or ImgBurn (imgburn is free) to burn this image to a CD

Then you can boot from this recovery console CD, and use the commands above (in bold)

thanks i will try the commands

i should be able to burn the file to a cd as long as i can do it at my sister's house i can't do it on this old laptop

as for the restore cds the only options they give me is to reinstall windows and to boot from the cd and when i try to install it it goes through the whole thing but it never fixes it.. it tries to start up but then restarts

actually i wont be able to download that file because its 7 mb and i have dial up and so does my sister.. so maybe i can do it when i see my bf because he has wi fi.. so hopefully i can get it this weekend

thanks i will try the commands

i should be able to burn the file to a cd as long as i can do it at my sister's house i can't do it on this old laptop

as for the restore cds the only options they give me is to reinstall windows and to boot from the cd and when i try to install it it goes through the whole thing but it never fixes it.. it tries to start up but then restarts
Do you still get the "C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt" message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom