Intel Inspiron 1520 or ASUS F3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimiMyGF4Ti4600

Baseband Member
Dell Inspiron 1520 or ASUS F3?

I was originally planning on building a powerful desktop rig. However, my current laptop is getting old and has some rather... annoying issues with the screen etc. Being a college student, I would prefer to have a new laptop as opposed to a new desktop, even though it means a serious sacrifice in power. The good news of course is that I have found two rather powerful, yet affordable notebooks.

Option 1: ASUS F3 series

Brand ASUS
Series F3 Series
Model F3SV-X1
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 1GB DDR2 667 (+ 1 GB DDR2 667 added $42)
Hard Disk 160GB (5400 RPM)
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
Video Memory 256MB

Price from NewEgg: 1,298 + 42 = $1,340 US

Option 2: DELL Inspiron1520

Brand DELL
Series Inspiron
Model 1520
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz
Screen 15.4" GLossy
Memory Size 2GB DDR2 667
Hard Disk 160GB (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive CD/DVD writer (DVD+-)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Video Memory 256MB

Price from Dell website: 1,439 - 300 (coupon) = $1,139 US shipped

The only difference between the two is the GPU and Hard Drive speed, and of course the price. So I guess it comes down to whether the ASUS brand has enough power to overcome the price difference and performance deficiencies.

Wait what? ASUS would be more expensive though, by 200 dollars, with less performance.
Sorry, I didn't see the $300 coupon in your post. That would make the Dell cheaper of course. I could never buy a Dell myself, though. Too many bad experiences servicing them. Asus and MSI are my favorite brands. HP/Compaq makes a decent lappy, too.

I haven't been happy lately with my Compaq lappy, which is really what this laptop will replace. Granted, it's 2 years old and has had a rough life in my backpack, but I don't think that makes up for the fried system board (replaced under warranty), faulty screen connection (not under warranty anymore), and other physical problems here and there.

I would also prefer a Desktop when it comes to preformance and someday hope to build one. Right now I need something that I can use at the unversity because honestly, that's where I spend most my time during the semester.

For fun, I am going to throw another brand into the mix:

Brand CyberPower
Series Xplorer
Model X5-7900
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 2GB DDR2 667
Hard Disk 160GB (5400 RPM)
Optical Drive CD/DVD writer (DVD+-)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600 GT
Video Memory 512MB

Price from website: $1,325

I still think the Dell is my best bet, but I'll continue to listen to other opinions.

Hello,

What about battery runtime?

The Asus FS series has poorer battery life compared to the Dell 1520 laptop. Though, it might not concern you whether or not you're tethered to a power outlet, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom