i need a wee bit o help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
okay i finally got tired of banging my head against the wall that is my mom's dell dimension.
in a fit of rage, i ordered all the parts i didnt already have to build her a new system.
i ordered:
fortron 400w psu
centurion 5
wd 160gb
lg dvd
evga 7300gs
i have:
x2 4200 am2 (with stock fan)
abit kn9 ultra nf4
2gb ddr2 800 (i havent decided if i should keep my xms2 or my HZ..)...lol i shoulda bought ram when it was really cheap...
now, my question is this...
i need to copy her accounting files and "my documents" to the new hdd. can i just take the old hdd out of the old box, put it into the new box(after new hdd is partitioned and set up), reboot, set the wd as the primary and copy the files (MD and accounting files) over from the old dell hdd to the the new WD hard drive? i would like to keep her dell 80gb IDE as her backup (or mine heh heh). can someone confirm this for me? if i lose those files, i will get kilt for sure.

yea i've done it before...set that dell to slave or it'll have issues booting up, then it'll just pop in my computer next to C:\

do you set it to slave in the bios? or would it be on the drive itself?
i see how if you didnt set it to be the slave, it would have problems...ie trying to boot windows off 2 different hard drives.

Yes. If you wanna be really lazy, you could even buy a $20 external drive bay for the old drive from CompUSA or whatever and hook it up through a USB or firewire port.

Hey nagasam,

Just take the old HDD, set the jumpers to slave, install it with new computer, transfer files...vualah...you're done.

u set it on the actual hard drive...in the text on the hard drive..there should be pictures which show where the jumper should be in order to be a primary, a slave, etc.....the jumpers are located next to the power plug on the HD

There is a "Transfer files and settings" wizard that you can use to move everything at once, including her old profile, outlook, documents, hardware settings... The only thing it wont move are applications, thoes will have to be reinstalled.

so i will have to reinstall her accounting program? its called "quickbooks"...and is really the only important thing (that and her pictures and stuff) on the old hdd. i realize i will have to re-install the drivers for the printers and what not.
i wonder if i could just leave it on the old hdd and have it load from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom