Why is WD not a "true" SATA HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
I don't understand... The WD has the SATA interface... So I just don't understand why it is not a "true" sata? I heard a couple ppl say that... Can someone clarify this for me plz? Thx in advance.

True SATA drives transfer data serially.
Only Seagate manufactures true SATA drives and the rest of them just use a parallel to serial converter to their PATA drives because of which u can use SATA interface but u will not get the speed of SATA(150mbps).

Seagate isn't the only true SATA drive but is one of only a handful that have true SATA

true SATA means that the entire drive is built around SATA to transfer the whole 150MB/S
most drives are really ATA100/133 and are 'adapting' the connection to SATA, but this can lead to data corruption and will not transfer the full 150MB/S

the link you gave us shows WD drives with the SATA interface but are internally the same as PATA drives, and do not exceed 100MB/s

I cant find anything anywhere saying that the Western Digital Caviar (SATA) is not fully SATA. Everything I read lists that its speed is 150 mb/s... Whats up with that?

the transfer speed is not 150MB/S even though it says it is, they advertise that because SATA is designed to transfer 150MB/S but for drives that just 'adapt' to SATA from PATA they will not reach it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom