Help with New System

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, for Wintel/PC environments, it's in the single percents, if that, in EVERY single hardware benchmark I've ever seen. Please don't make me go out and get links; I'm lazy.

Also, RAID 0 is striped, not mirrored. So if one drive fails, you lose ALL the data, on BOTH drives. Without RAID0, if one drive fails, you just lose the data on that one drive.

RAID0 is the dumbest thing you can do with a hard drive, short of taking into the shower with you.

Sora never said it was mirrored..... but still... a hard drive failing isn't that likely

but if ur scared do the following... just get a cheap 36.7gb raptor as a prime drive, and use a larger sized drive as a secondary... or just get one WD 750gb, which does really well (almost as good as raptor's in most benchmarks)

Speed Wise, but it could still fail...

I'd prefer buy 5 250gb HDS for $300 and 1tb of space, with redundancy than pay $230 for a 750gb HD that could fail and you'd be out on your ***.

Sora never said it was mirrored..... but still... a hard drive failing isn't that likely

It's plenty likely. I lost three one day during a heat wave because it got up to 120 degrees in the PC room (poor kid with no AC back then) and I forgot to turn the computer off when I went to work. They all overheated and went belly up. Lost one recently because it was an external and some jackass dropped a magnet on it. And those were just the ones that were *MY* fault.

Modern hard drives are great and reliable, but only once you get past 24 months of useage - that's when most of them fail (before 24 months), because that's when any manufacturing defects or damage due to dropping, shaking in shipping, etc show themselves. I still have a functional hard drive that I had in use for 8 years. I don't have a system old enough to run it anymore, but it still works and has all my sweet Windoze 95 stuff on it. :) But at the same time, I've lost 3 drives inside the first year of life for no fault on my part - maybe the UPS guy stepped on it, or someone at the factory was hung over or something, but it sure happens.

In the data center I work at, we've have an average of a little over 3 hard disk failures a month for the past 18 months, just because they've worn out from age, or... just because there was a defect (free brand new warranty replacement, w00t). We've even had a few cases where we got an entire *LOT* of bad drives - ordered a drive array and 8 the 8 drives to go with it at the same time, and several months into their service, they started failing out one by one. If we'd used RAID 0, we'd have been totally screwed every time any one of those drives died.

It does happen, and a lot more than you think, especially if you're like the average computer owner and only have two or three drives in service at one time.

Whatever the OP decides is his choice, but he's going to get a very small performance gain here, since he's not running a server environment, and he's got the chance of losing all his data if either drive goes bad.

Speed Wise, but it could still fail...

I'd prefer buy 5 250gb HDS for $300 and 1tb of space, with redundancy than pay $230 for a 750gb HD that could fail and you'd be out on your ***.

Amen. And anyone who's ever had big data loss to a hard drive failure is going to agree with you.

It's plenty likely. I lost three one day during a heat wave because it got up to 120 degrees in the PC room (poor kid with no AC back then) and I forgot to turn the computer off when I went to work. They all overheated and went belly up. Lost one recently because it was an external and some jackass dropped a magnet on it. And those were just the ones that were *MY* fault.

Modern hard drives are great and reliable, but only once you get past 24 months of useage - that's when most of them fail, because that's when any manufacturing defects or damage due to dropping, shaking in shipping, etc show themselves. I still have a functional hard drive that I had in use for 8 years. I don't have a system old enough to run it anymore, but it still works and has all my sweet Windoze 95 stuff on it. :) But at the same time, I've lost 3 drives inside the first year of life for no fault on my part - maybe the UPS guy stepped on it, or someone at the factory was hung over or something, but it sure happens.

In the data center I work at, we've have an average of a little over 3 hard disk failures a month for the past 18 months, just because they've worn out from age, or... just because there was a defect (free brand new warranty replacement, w00t). We've even had a few cases where we got an entire *LOT* of bad drives - ordered a drive array and 8 the 8 drives to go with it at the same time, and several months into their service, they started failing out one by one. If we'd used RAID 0, we'd have been totally screwed every time any one of those drives died.

It does happen, and a lot more than you think, especially if you're like the average computer owner and only have two or three drives in service at one time.

Whatever the OP decides is his choice, but he's going to get a very small performance gain here, since he's not running a server environment, and he's got the chance of losing all his data if either drive goes bad.

ok ok.... fine... then just do what i said about the raptor and a large HD

if the user backs up their information on a REGULAR basis, then if a drive DOES fail, then it shouldnt be that bad.

i'm personally gonna do a RAID 0 with 2 Seagate Barracudas

You all are incredible. I have alot of things to discuss with my computer builder guy. I will update tomorrow after I get a chance to talk to him.

RAID 0 is not the dumbest thing ever. It is recommended for gamers mainly who don't have much to loose except their games which can be re-installed. RAID 0 chances of failing may be double but If i had important data on there I would not be using RAID 0 for years giving good disk such as Seagates time to fail. RAID 1 is a much better choice for backing up things yes but RAID is certainly not "dumb" to a lot of people.I would go RAID 1 for speed and then convert my stuff to RAID 4 later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom