Help with New System

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacDaddyGator said:
As to the QX6600 versus the Q6600. I don't really know the difference between the two.

The X stands for the extreme edition. The only difference is that, the extreme edition, has an unlocked multiplier, which only serves a purpose for the hardcore overclockers. It looks like you won't be overclocking at all, so just get the Q6600, to save money.

MacDaddyGator said:
As to the Blu Ray recorder. I have a PS3 and I thought it might make sense to be able to record movies off cable and to the Blu Ray and play it on PS3 in my bedroom. Upon really considering this, it might be smarter to wait on the BluRay recorder until they become better and cheaper. I really don't have a great need for this.

It would be a good idea, to wait until the Blu-Ray drops further in price, since it's not a priority of your's.

Okay, well, I'd like to apologize. I mixed up my raids.

In Raid 0, if either drive fails, you lose ALL the data on both drives...for a slight benenfit in speed. I wouldn't want to take that risk.

In Raid 1, one HD mirrors the other, so you never lose anything.

I wouldn't do a raid at all, if I were you, unless you bought enough HDs to do a raid 5.

If you had 3 750gb HDs in Raid5, you'd only have 1.5tb of space rather than 2.25, but if a hard drive failed, you wouldn't lose anything.

Blu-Ray burners are expensive, yeah.

That a really nice system you have laid out. I've never actually been near a pc that nice ;). Even the video editting PCs I use in labs are not that up-to-date.

Like someone else said, though, the 750gb HDs are cheaper and almost as fast as the rapots- much cheaper for the space.

And if you're recording HD streams...you'll use that space. Not as bad as editting, but you will.

Editting is not that cpu intensive, really. Its pretty simple. Most people building PCs like yours are probably doing 3D graphics with Maya or Lightwave...

Have fun ;)

RAID 0 chances of loosing all of your data aren't very likely and actually the speed increase in windows is quite a lot.

RAID 0 chances of loosing all of your data aren't very likely and actually the speed increase in windows is quite a lot.

he's right... except for Maxtor drives, i've never seen HD's fail before....

I have. I've had a WD and a Seagate fail on me...I won't be using a Raid 0 ever. :D

As to the QX6600 versus the Q6600. I don't really know the difference between the two.

Save the money, then. If you don't know the difference, you sure won't be using it to overclock, so you're just paying more money and only getting an extra letter out of it.

As to the RAID, the hope is to make the video processing faster. If the RAID setup is wrong, I need to tell the guy so we get it right.

Don't do RAID. There's a myth out there that RAID 0 is faster because you can write to two drives at once, but the actual performance gain is almost non-existent. Like someone else said, only do RAID if you're willing to get enough HDs for RAID 5. It uses one drive per array as a "parity" drive, so with more than 2 drives, you have a redundancy if one drive fails, but don't lose 50% of your total disk space. We use RAID 5 arrays a lot where I work with disk sets of 8 or 12, which is great, because we still only lose one drive (as little as 8.3% of the total drive space) to get that redundancy. For the home user, it's not worth it, since it's easier to just burn to DVD.

By the way, don't I need a sound card and speakers?

Thanks again for all of the input.

As has been said, you don't need a sound card, unless you're big into editing audio input/mixing, or are some huge audiophile. Used to be that onboard sound was terrible quality and a big resource hog, but as systems have gotten so massively more powerful, on board sound is just great, and barely puts a dent into system resources.

Speakers, though.... yes. If you can't find anything good, I'd be happy to give you my model number to look at - they're just $50 Altecs, but they're great.

No, for Wintel/PC environments, it's in the single percents, if that, in EVERY single hardware benchmark I've ever seen. Please don't make me go out and get links; I'm lazy.

Also, RAID 0 is striped, not mirrored. So if one drive fails, you lose ALL the data, on BOTH drives. Without RAID0, if one drive fails, you just lose the data on that one drive.

RAID0 is the dumbest thing you can do with a hard drive, short of taking into the shower with you.

Woo hoo! Someone agrees with me!

*goes out and buys a bumper sticker*

A Raid0 is like putting your spare key on the same set as your main one, in my opinion.

Raid 1 is like carrying two at all times.

Raid 5 is like having one in the house in case you lose one.

:D

But most people don't need a spare set of keys, anyway.

single percents is not good enough for me.

5% is 1 in 20. 1 in feckin 20. If I have 2 drives, that's 2/20, 1/10....

Raid 0 = Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom