Network cable causes lockup ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
Hi guys. I recently built a PC and have run into a (hopefully) small problem.

You see, if the network cable is plugged in, the computer wont boot. More specifically, it will power up, fans will go on, etc.,but there will be no signal sent to the monitor, and it doesn't sound like the hard drive is even being accessed. If I unplug the network cable from the motherboard or from the modem, though, the computer will then boot properly. But, once it's booted and in Windows, if I plug the cable back in, the computer freezes and goes to a black screen again. This is the fourth PC I've built, so I'm not too experienced. There's probably something I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Here are the stats:
I started with an old E-Machines case from another PC I stripped recently and used it as the base. List of what's within:

-ASUS P4V8X-MX Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel P4 3.0E Prescott Socket 478
-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
-CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
-Old Maxtor 40GB Hard Drive I had lying around

Thanks again

Alright, I found out what the problem was. I swapped in a network card from another pc just to see if it was the Mobo's network interface hub; the card worked fine. Apparently it's the network interface hub built into the motherboard that is malfunctioning. The Mobo is only about 5 days old, should I return it to Newegg for an exchange/refund or do you think there is some setting or reset button I can change to fix it? Thanks

Almost forgot...the mobo's network hub worked fine for the first day or so, then stopped working without me having changed any settings whatsoever.

Well, it's up to you if you rather use an Ethernet PCI card or use the built-in Ethernet hub. Personally, I would just use the built-in Ethernet hub to save a PCI slot and power.

Alright this is strange. The only other item I retained during this build, besides the E-Machines case, was the old power supply that came with it. I just now tested my main PC's power supply on this supposed faulty mobo, just to check if the old one was malfunctioning, and guess what, it was - network hub worked fine with my main PC's stronger, newer PSU. I guess the old power supply just doesn't have enough juice to power the network hub and the rest of the pc at the same time, or something. Wasn't even aware that the network hub took any real power. I should have known, that PSU was making a weird sound from the second I turned it on. I guess I'll just use this old PSU with the PCI network card for now. I'll be getting a wireless card soon anyway to take its place. Maybe I'll buy a new PSU somewhere down the line.

What I can't figure out, though, is how that old PSU is able to run the PCI network card without failing to boot, but not the built in network hub. I would think the PCI would take more power since it's not integrated. Oh well, that was definitely the craziest problem I've ever encountered with PCs, glad it's over.

This goes to show that when pl don't tell about all the symptoms of a problem. we have in accurate information to work with. a crappy power supply you forgot to mention is a big detail. alsways lay it all out. even if you need to make a long post to do so. that way we can help eliminate potential problems. congrats on your fix!

a little something to consider... if this power supply does crap out and die. it can damage other components, as it instantly changes voltages. you could fry your motherboard and so on. it may be a good idea to pick something up a little better. don't cheap out on your power supply. i don't mean it has to be the biggest. but find a quality PSU with steady voltages. read reviews. just thought i'd mention it.

Yeah I'll go ahead and order a new PSU just in case, something with decent quality but cheap. It's just an e-mail/web browsing computer for a relative, very basic. I would have mentioned the PSU making that strange noise, but I figured it was just normal for it to do so...it was given to my by another person and I never used it when it was new to to be able to tell the difference. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom