Thinking about an HTPC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't be able to run them through the pc for recording?

I would think you'd be able to input them in AV/HDMI/Coaxial/Whatever and record them...

well, it would be recorded from your tv and then it'd be a problem of having encrypted content (which digital cable is), so it might not be possible.

i don't pay for digital cable otherwise i would certainly want to mess around with it, because i'm sure there is a workaround... there always is!

...it comes through as video...playing...

If you ran it straight from your cable box to your PC, there shouldn't be any encryption...

Digital cable is encrypted, thats the reason you have to have a digital cable reciever. Now if you were to plug the cable from the wall into the computer, then into the digital box you should in theory be able to record whatever and still use your digital box.

Digital cable is encrypted, thats the reason you have to have a digital cable reciever. Now if you were to plug the cable from the wall into the computer, then into the digital box you should in theory be able to record whatever and still use your digital box.

cable from wall to digital cable box then out to the computer, you could record whatever you wanted.

Yes that is true, but like I said 100 ****ing times, the only way to go from your cable box to your computer is through s-Video.

If this is true, why do most capture cards have coax in. Not trying to start an argument, im just curious as i plan on turning my old machine into an htpc and have digital cable.

If this is true, why do most capture cards have coax in. Not trying to start an argument, im just curious as i plan on turning my old machine into an htpc and have digital cable.

It just doesnt work like that. If anyone wants to show me evidence otherwise, than I would appreciate that becuase I myself want to do it. But as far as I know you can't.

"Second, if you have access to high-definition cable signals, PC TV tuners can't handle them. The only HD signals you'll be able to pull in are over-the-air broadcasts, for which you need a big antenna and an HD-capable TV tuner card. That means no HD HBO or Discovery Channel, so for most, this is hardly worth the effort. "

the review goes over all the brands of the nicest afordable tuner cards.

TV tuner card showdown - CNET reviews

Yes that is true, but like I said 100 ****ing times, the only way to go from your cable box to your computer is through s-Video.

you're off track a bit here man.

Digital cable doesnt mean high definition.

coaxial from wall to cable box, coaxial out from cable box to tv tuner card - it will record what you're watching - it doesnt care. It might not be able to record the high def channels with the quality - or even at all, but it will record normal channels.

what digital cable allows is better encryption of channels so people cant steal them and the ability to have more channels.

you're off track a bit here man.

Digital cable doesnt mean high definition.

coaxial from wall to cable box, coaxial out from cable box to tv tuner card - it will record what you're watching - it doesnt care. It might not be able to record the high def channels with the quality - or even at all, but it will record normal channels.

what digital cable allows is better encryption of channels so people cant steal them and the ability to have more channels.

I was referring to HD in that post, I guess I didn't make that clear. If you read the entire thread you would notice that since the very beginning. All I was trying to get across was the fact that you can't get HD signals out of your box to your computer, thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom