Dell Swap HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Trying to swap a HDD from a Dell PC to one I've built but it won't log onto Win XP. Logs OK when Back into Dell system but NOT the new system. Unsure why, do Dell have a code onto there HDD to stop you doing this? The new system works fine with my current second drive but all my files are on the 1st drive that won't Log on.

He's trying to load the OS from the Dell hard drive. Shaundale, you can't do that because it's OS is tied to the Dell motherboard, and won't recognize any other motherboards.

Hello,

If you have an OS installed on your second drive, just boot into Windows on your new hard drive, then slave your old Dell hard drive in your new system, and access the files / transfer the files across.

Hi,
Thxs for quick response. Looks like I'll have to run second drive as 1st then transfer the files across then. :( Was hopping just to swap over the HDD's, lot less work :)

Thxs,
Shaun

Is this an OEM problem or what, because so far, ive gone from a pc chips board to an asus board to now a gigabyte board and windows has booted fine in all of them. I know when i had to work on dells back at the old job, we had problems with images not working from system to system if they changed the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom