OS choices for new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqsauced

Solid State Member
Hey I'm looking for some input on what windows OS to put onto the pc I will be putting together soon. I'm part of the MSDN Academic Alliance through my college, so I can the Windows Vista Business DVD for $17.25, but I cannot currently get any of the others, like Ultimate and whatnot.

I plan on dual booting some version of Windows and Ubuntu. What version do you recommend? Should I stick with XP Pro, or try Vista? I'm kind of worried about hardware and game compatibility, since I'll mostly be using the pc for gaming, watching anime, listening to music, etc.

Stick with XP Pro, it's better at the moment, compared to Vista. Then just go Vista, when the first service pack, finally releases. The only reason to go to Vista, is if you're planning on gaming with the future games, that support DX10.

Most of the games I will be playing are pretty current generation. I am looking forward to Hellgate: London, which supports DX10, but I imagine it'll still be playable with DX9.

Stick with XP Pro, it's better at the moment, compared to Vista. Then just go Vista, when the first service pack, finally releases. The only reason to go to Vista, is if you're planning on gaming with the future games, that support DX10.
How is it better at the moment?

Why are so many people stuck on service packs? Those just bundle up fixes...heh.

Vista would do just fine for newer games, and most older, although I have encountered a few older game issues (actually only Dungeon Keeper), but I haven't tried to work around it - I just installed it on the virtual machine. :)

If Vista is <= XP $-wise, I'd go for it. $17.25, mmm, not like it'll be too big of a loss if you do find any issues in the future.

How is it better at the moment?

Why are so many people stuck on service packs? Those just bundle up fixes...heh.

Vista would do just fine for newer games, and most older, although I have encountered a few older game issues (actually only Dungeon Keeper), but I haven't tried to work around it - I just installed it on the virtual machine. :)

If Vista is <= XP $-wise, I'd go for it. $17.25, mmm, not like it'll be too big of a loss if you do find any issues in the future.

I can get both XP and Vista for the same price.

The thing is, I can stick with something which already works, or go to Vista, where working is questionable.

Vista working is not questionable. It works. Period. There are VERY few applications out there that dont work in Vista. Very few. If someone says they are having issues with a specific app it is cause the developers have not updated their software within the last year. How is that Vista's fault?

Vista is just fine. I have been running it for the better part of a year. No issues at all. When i have found a program that didnt work i found one that was comparable if not better that did.

As for gaming...it works just fine in Vista. Since you are gaming you should have at least 2 if not more GB worth of RAM in the PC. While XP will run faster there is no downside to being prepared for the future now. So why wait and spend $$ on XP now and then in the future spend more $$ on Vista (who knows if you will still get it at that price then) later. IT doesnt make sense.

I absolutely agree with Makaveli213, I've been using Vista since RC1 was released and I've seen a great increase of performance and adaption. As also Makaveli213 said the serious companies update their software for compartibillity. The first year is kinda rough then after every programm is designed for win Vista, they become much more stable.

Thanks for the replies. My system is going to be pretty top notch, so it shouldn't have any problems keeping up with Vista and gaming resource wise.

There was one thing that came up last night. I was talking with some people about this topic, and one mentioned that the business version of Vista doesn't support DX10. This doesn't sound true to me, but I wanted to make sure. Does anyone know?

All Versions of Vista supports DX10. It comes with the OS. Even checking out the site at M$...

Windows Vista: Home Page

doesnt show that Business doesnt. It says that all versions have it and that the gaming on those version are better. I have installed Business Edition before and have had DX10. So unless one of them has installed DX9 from installing a game or something would be the only reason why they would not have DX10. That would be their fault not the OS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom