Adding Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

no_Wedge

In Runtime
I have a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR NF4 939 and have 2*512gb sticks in it, if I wanted to add ram say 2*1gb extra sticks in the other slots will this be supported or do they have to be the same?

i have patriot memory, cas2-3-2-5 T1, pc3200 ddr 400, so does it have to be exactly the same? or just the speed, also if i could just set the timings to match the longer timings wouldn't that work, or would that make it slower? would these work?
Newegg.com - Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

mine is like this one but two 512
Newegg.com - Patriot 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

Links doesn't seem to be working. If you wanted to add 2 more sticks of RAM, you'll have to get the same model of the RAM or else it won't work. Get a higher model of RAM and it'll underclock to the slowest RAM on your computer.

links don't work because the "..." in the URL is actually part of the URL. You must have copied the abbreviation of the links to begin with.

now try, they seem to be the same as mine, mine was just bought back when 1gig was a lot, but mine are 2-3-2-5 T1(if the T1 matters)

Links doesn't seem to be working. If you wanted to add 2 more sticks of RAM, you'll have to get the same model of the RAM or else it won't work. Get a higher model of RAM and it'll underclock to the slowest RAM on your computer.

I have a laptop which started out with a 256 ram stick.

I bought a 1024ram stick off newegg which is a different model and from a year of usage, they've been working so far. And getting two ram sticks of different sizes won't "underclock" either. My 1024 + 256 sticks = 1280.

RAM Chips of different speeds and manufacturing can work. The question is, will they work? There's no way to know until you plug them in and turn it on really. Your best bet is just to match make, model, and speed.

ok, but if I do get the same, and i already have 2*512, and in the other two slots 2*1gb then my effective size is 3GB right?

Right. If the mobo has dual channel archetecture it should work so long as the dual channel is set up to work with two RAM chips of the same speed.

most of the time diff brands will work as long as they supported on ur MB. diff speeds will underclock like has been said and dual channel wiull work if u still have same speed ram.

ok, but since they still have my type in 2gb and it's one of the fastest timings for my setup, then I will probly just match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom