ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or nVidia GeForce FX5900XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey07

Baseband Member
I read somewhere (can probably dig up the link) that the 9800 Pro and 5900XT directly compete with eachother... My question is, for gaming, which would be preferred? The nvidia is a little less money, and that's more of what I'm looking at (they're birthday presents, who wants to spend close to $500 on two..or three... computer parts? :p), but...

Can anyone tell me the differences between the two cards, maybe some pros/cons, which has better FPS in games on the higher or highest settings, etc.. Thanks :)

ATI is the better card anyday. You will get much higher frames with better graphics. The only con is that nVidia's drivers are slightly more stable. But ATI is updating there drivers constantly and they are drasticaly improving stability.

Overall, nVidia stinks... ATI has much more power/performance. ATI is the future.

Well agex, in the case of ATi's 9000 series vs. The GeForce FX series you are correct. As of right now the 6800 ultra has beaten the x800pro pretty well. We might see a change in things when the x800XT comes out though.
For you Hockey go 9800, alot faster than the 5900.

Yikes oh!

-Eric

Ps- Hockey ROCKS! Go Stars! (Sorry- if that's not who you like! They just are my favorite!! YEAH!!)

Eric5000 said:
Yikes oh!

-Eric

Ps- Hockey ROCKS! Go Stars! (Sorry- if that's not who you like! They just are my favorite!! YEAH!!)

Go Bruins WOO :D :p *Is getting a little offtopic now.. lol :p*

GameGURU said:
Well agex, in the case of ATi's 9000 series vs. The GeForce FX series you are correct. As of right now the 6800 ultra has beaten the x800pro pretty well. We might see a change in things when the x800XT comes out though.
For you Hockey go 9800, alot faster than the 5900.

The 6800 supports 32 bit color, pixel shader 3.0 and has a dedicated data pipe for things called stensil shaders, which gives it better performance on games that utilize those things and equal performance on other things (doom3 uses stensil shaders so the 6800 should be a good pick).

As for 9800 vs 5950: go for the 9800.

9800 pro outperforms 9600 XT which outperforms FX5900

* 6800 VERY SLIGHTLY outperforms X800 pro
* X800's arte less expensive than 6800's
- you'd pay about $1000 (aus) for a 6800 but about $700 for an X800
* the X800 looks better
* the X800 uses less power
* the X800 only uses one slot
* the 6800 has smartshader 3.0 but this makes very little difference to 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back