Continuous reboot loop, even in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

98ramair

Beta member
Hi Everyone,

First, I would like to say hello to everyone as I am new to the board....

Okay, I do not concider myself a newbe to the computer world but I have something that has stumpped me...hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I can enlighten me...

Let me first discribe issue #1. I have an SATA set-up on my MOBO with two HD's running RAID 0 and a couple other HD's. I oringinally had this configuration running flawlessly. However, I experienced an issue a few months ago and had to reload XP. I removed my SATA set-up and went for the ATA HD's. Everything was working fine. I have a laptop that I use to surf the net with but want to start video editing and want my desktop back.

Issue #1. I want to set up my SATA's again b/c they are 10k RPM and will be perfect for editing large files. To do this, I need to reload XP Pro. I remove my old ATA's for now b/c I don't want any corrupy files jumping from my ATA to my SATA drive (just call me paranoid). I am running an ABIT MOBO (IC7-MAX3) with a Prescot 2.8 800FSB CPU WITHOUT a floppy :eek: XP does not recognize my SATA set-up so I need to hit F6 on the first startup screen. Since I do not have a floppy I can not do this. I did some surfing pn the net and found a way to creat a Win XP disc that contains the SATA drivers so I do not have to press F6 at start up.

I got all the way through the XP set-up process with the "custom" xp install disc that I created. When my system trys to log into XP it is in a continuous reboot loop. It will go into the XP splash screen and then a the "blue screen of death" :mad: appears for about .5 seconds and my computer reboots on its own. It's almost like someone is pressing the reset button. This happens over and over again. The next screen I see (after BIOS and other MOBO stuff loads) is the XP "illness" screen "your computer did not restart normally...choose safe mode, safe with network, safe with command...

I tried to choose Safemode (all varities). My system gets to the mup.sys driver and reboots AGAIN!!! No matter what I do, XP continully reboots my system.

I have done some research on the mup.sys driver and I don't think this is the issue. I have removed all PCI cards so I know those are not the cause of my problems either.

My ultimate question....what the heck do I do now?? Could the "home gorwn" xp install CD be the problem??? I have a legitimate XP install CD with a license. However, that is usless to me since I don't have a floppy and can not load the SATA driver.

If anyone has had this issue or can provide some insight I would be forever in your debt. Better put, my compuer would be for ever in your debt because if I can't fix this issue it's going to be thrown out my living room window! :eek:

Thanks in advance!!!!
Lg

Hi Silesia,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure of the virus idea. This is a fresh copy of XP install CD (with a few mods). My PC that I am installing XP on is not connected to the internet or any other system, it's a stand alone. I suppose I could have infected the install CD that I created...hmmm. I did a scan of my laptop from which I created the install CD and I do not have the Sassa worm on it so I am leaning away from this as an issue.

To clarify, my system has not even gotten to the first "real" load of XP. I have not even had the chance to "activate" XP yet. I think the next logical step of my XP setup would be activation but with this reboot issue, I can not even get to that option. The fresh install will not even bring me to that step...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom