Going to try overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntstopthecrooks

In Runtime
Ok i've never overclocked before and i want to try it.
I have the e6750 2 gigs crucial ballistiv ram 320 gig seagatebarracuda, 8800 gts 320 mb, 520w hx corsair, coolermaster centurion case, gigabyte g35 or w.e motherboard.

I've never been in bios before and dont know how to do anything in there should i just buy software to do it? and if so which one?

thanks.

Do you mean the P35-DS3R? First of all, you don't really need any software in order to overclock. All you really need to do is remember this important formula :

FSB x multiplier = speed
FSB = Front Side Bus

So if the FSB is at 288 and your multiplier is at 9 then that equals to 2.592 which is rounded to 2.6GHz. That's your stock speed right now on the E6750 you have.

Well you go in the BIOS, and to the Frequency settings area. Then you increase the FSB speed in small increments. Keep increasing it until the temperature gets too high (60+) If the CPU becomes unstable, then try increasing the Voltage again, until it is stable. You cannot increase the multiplier in that processor, so the only way to OC is via raising the FSB. I wouldn't suggest OCing from inside the OS. It may seem easier and less daunting, but it can be very unstable and less effective than BIOS OCing.

Yeah, just like they said go to "Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker M.I.T." in your BIOS, and slowly increase the FSB, and stress testing with orthos every once in a while. And set the voltage to the normal voltage...the normal voltage is right below the voltage control. If you leave the voltage set to auto, it'll tend to overvolt. After you set it, just leave the voltage alone until you CPU becomes unstable.

Don't use the gigabyte temp/overclocking utility to overclock. Like they said, it's better to just do it in the BIOS. Plus that utility limits you to a 20% overclock, and after that you have to do it in the BIOS anyway.

Also press "CTRL F1" in the bios home to access some extra memory features. You can access CPU/memory settings in the M.I.T. area.

You can change your GPU speed/memory from the a software that you installed for your GPU.

Hi.
I hope you don't mind if I use this thread to ask a question. What is the gain if I only OC the CPU and leave the memory on stock values? Will I notice substantial gain just OCing the CPU?
Another question, how do you see if the system is stable after increasing the FSB speed? Do you enter Windows and run a application that loads the CPU and see if it crashes? Or there is a more easier procedure?

Thank you for your help.

You will notice a difference if you use applications that need the difference. Such as 3D rendering, mpeg4 encoding, uhhh you get the point. Also in benchmark results, but it wont make your emails go faster. As for stability you have it on the nose. There is an application that is designed to stress the cpu, and memory, to check the stability. It is called Orthos, I believe on dual core processors you need to run two instances of orthos and specify which core they need to be run on, four for a quad core. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

So if the FSB is at 288 and your multiplier is at 9 then that equals to 2.592 which is rounded to 2.6GHz. That's your stock speed right now on the E6750 you have.

I believe the e6750 is stock 333x8. Same end result but the multiplier for the non extreme editions don't go above 8.

Thank you for your feedback QuaziBee.
So, if I use the PC mainly to navigate on web, torrents and to see movies the CPU OC will not give me much gain, but if I OC the memories I should notice better gain.
One final question, considering only the memories performance, I will get a better OC on memories if I only OC the memories, or I will get the same performance as if I OC the memories and CPU.

Thank you for your help.

PS: Sorry if I haven't explained myself properly but I'm from Portugal and sometimes it's difficult to me to explain myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom