Thinking about an HTPC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone had previously stated that you cannot receive higher than 480i through any TV tuner card....I thought this was false, but I wanted to hear what others said.

Someone had previously stated that you cannot receive higher than 480i through any TV tuner card....I thought this was false, but I wanted to hear what others said.

Heres a list of all the TV tuner cards on Newegg. Note that every single one has an S-video cable as its "HD" input (other then the first card which is $900 and I have no idea what its for). Also note that S-video is only capable of 480i (and 576i which again, I believe is pal) at max. If you can find a TV tuner card that supports a higher resolution, awesome! But as you can see, the standard cards do not.

Why is this? Simple, companies do not want us recording HD television and movies like HD DVD and blu-ray. Think about it...

Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

S-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

did no one read my earlier post?

of course you can have a higher definition than 480i through your pc. this is just plain fallacy.

the kworld 115 hdtv tuner, which i own, tunes channels in high definition. i have a 720p lcd tv and the picture is FANTASTIC. not only does it accept over-the-air atsc signals, but it can also pick up the free digital signals broadcast over your cable line (clear QAM).

why would you want to use s-video as an input anyway? just split the coaxial cable into the hdtv card input... i can record hdtv just fine and it looks great. however, the files are gigantic.

ps: the kworld 115 tuner is only 60 bucks. all you need is a decent dual-core setup, like the one i have in my sig, and you are SET.

QAM is different and not what I'm talking about. QAM are non encrypted free local stations. I was referring to HD channels which go though a digital cable box.

Let me just point out that I wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything, I just wanted to get as much information as I could. So Jumping Bean, I appreciate your help, I'm just trying to get all aspects of the situation. In any case, I'm asking, what if I bypass my Digital Cable box that I get from Comcast, plug the cable directly into the tuner card, and then just use the tuner card as my cable box? It seems like that's what fastrandstrongr was trying to get at.

Thats not what hes saying and that will also 100% not work. Hes saying you can pick up the free QAM stations in HD. Which in my area is just local news and some areas don't even have them.

yes, that is true. you will not be able to pick up non-qam stations. it is the drawback of having a pc as your media center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom