POST strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
Recently my PC only wants to successfully POST and boot up if I press the power button and then press reset or power off/power on again afterwards. It seems to be getting worse as well... this time I pressed reset five times and then powered off and on again before I got the thing to give me the beep.

All the fans are coming on, it's just not beeping... I read that this could be a PSU issue and that the problem I've described could be that the HDD isn't getting enough power to spin at the right speed unless it has a second power surge by turning off and on again in quick succession.

The only thing is that I recently bought a new PSU (the 430 Watt one below) which is more than my previous one which I replaced because it was getting ancient and was really loud. ('If it ain't broke...' comes to mind).

I just noticed that the SATA HD that contains my OS has a socket for SATA power and a 4-pin as well. I know that this is a stupid question but would it hurt/help to plug both in at the same time? (I only have the SATA power in at the moment).

Apologies for my history of asking really stupid questions... :)

AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 512kb L2cache 754pin
1xCrucial 512mb DDR 333MHz PC2700
Sapphire X1950pro AGP
320GB SATAII - 7200RPM 16MB Cache
160GB IDE HDD
LG 16x DVD R/RW/RAM
Realtek PCI Ethernet NIC
Seasonic 430W PSU

EDIT: I tried adding all that lot into eXtreme Outer Vision - PSU calculator and it said I only needed something like 284 watts...

I didn't really read your post properly :eek:

but if you think you might have a psu issue then try the old psu, if that works then thats probably the culprit.

Well, if it's a Seasonic [Antec] I suppose it's the same as mine since mines is from Seasonic which is also [Antec]. My post comes on fine, but that's with a S-ATA I HDD. Well since you said that your HDD came with a 4pin Molex Connector along with a S-ATA power connector, then try connecting the 4pin Molex Connector to see if it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom