problem with my secondary HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
hi there... i just re-built my computer with a number of new components... a new gigabyte mobo, a new quad core processor, new ram, etc, and for some reason, my secondary hard disk is no longer recocnised as being there. im running windows XP pro. my main HD is a SATA, plugged directly to the mobo, and the other HD is on the middle slot of a BUS cable.. with the other part of it connected to my dvd reader, which is working fine... i have checked the cabling, and the power is plugged in fine, and the BUS is in correctly...

is there anything else that could be wrong? cheers

Bus cable? If you mean IDE cable (the flat wide one) then make sure both of your DVD and HDD are set on slave, if either one is set to master, you might be having conflict with your SATA drive and your IDE drive(s).

ok, is this something that a new mobo could trigger? it worked fine with my old one. also, how do i go about doing this? it it just one of the jumpers on the HD itself? im about to put in a raptor and install windows vista on it... will i encouter the same problems with it?

it was £80, and i was reccomended it on the building forum :p i was initially looking at a £150 lan party one... but back to the point... does anyone know what i can do/needs to be done to get this hard disk working again? it has all my music etc. on it :(

ok, i jusr removed the jumper on it (it said "no jumper = slave" on it... ) and it is still not detected...

ok, i went into bios, and its seeing the hard disk there fine enough, and says it's a slave... (pressuming this means it has power too? i am unsure if it is spinning becasue the other HD also makes a noise on bootup and cant distinguish between them) it just seems to be in windows that it is not being detected... any other ideas/things to check? cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom