got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddanth3

In Runtime
hey guys. i saved up about 150$ to spend on my comp. my current rig is in my sig.
i dont know what i should upgrade with that much money coz its not that much. i was think of a new dual core cpu and a cheap mobo.

i am thinking either the x2 3600 or the intel pentium dual core 2140.
any recommendations on the mobos thats gonna fit my budget for both amd and intel.

i am leaning towards the brisbane 3600 then the 2140, but i dont know why.

i wont be upgrading any other parts of my comp for 3-4 months, so will i be able to do some overclocking with my current parts and the new cpu+mobo.

and one more thing. will i notice a vast difference in performance if i upgrade to a 3600, and dont overclock it.

what do u guys suggest. should i upgrade right now or not. coz the thing is, i dont like spending huge sums of money at once. i like to do eveything step by step.

any recommendation is appreciated.

I think save up a bit more and go for a new mobo + processor and ram if you have the money if not you can sit on that for a bit untill you do.

It's never fun but I would wait and do everything together to make sure everything is compatible. Alot changes in 3-4 months and prices will probably come down lower in that time span. Personally I seek to maximize the value of my dollar so following that logic save save save until you can actually get something worthy.

It's never fun but I would wait and do everything together to make sure everything is compatible. Alot changes in 3-4 months and prices will probably come down lower in that time span. Personally I seek to maximize the value of my dollar so following that logic save save save until you can actually get something worthy.

i understand ur point of view, but i need to know my goal though. i mean what would be worthy, i dont know that, please advice so that i can start saving more money and cut down on other expenses. i mean what should save more money for? what components???

Save up for a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply...because that's what needs upgrading. Well not necessarily the RAM, since you have already 2GB, but I would suggest you sell them, and get 2x1GB instead. They're not expensive now a days. Like the G. Skill DDR2-800 NQs, are only $88.99

If you want to upgrade 3600+ then you will need to buy another motherboard

But I think your current motherboard supports E2140, so it is better to get E2140.................

If you want to upgrade 3600+ then you will need to buy another motherboard

But I think your current motherboard supports E2140, so it is better to get E2140.................

well i was planning to buy a cheap mobo for the 3600. but i dont think my mobo is compatible with the 2140. and even if it is compatible. it wont fit my new atx case that i have coz the current mobo is a btx.

now my budget has increased to 200$, and i cant go further than that.
any recommendations on what i should do.

If you can't wait, than:

Motherboard - Biostar TF7025
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 3600+
PSU - FSP (Fortron Source) 400w

Comes to $171.48

I suggested a power supply, because Logisys can't be trusted. Also, try to sell your current RAM, and get this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

thanks for the reply man. well the thing is, even if i waited, i wouldnt spend more than 200$ at once .
would i notice a huge perfromance difference if i got the 3600+ on stock.

and will my current rig including the memory RAM limit the overclocking of the processor on stock cooling, coz i dont plan to get a HSF.

i like the idea of selling my crurrent ram, but dont know if that is necessary. could u just give some details on why that would be good. and if i do sell, i was considering the ballistix one, cost about 100$ but has a rebate of 30$. so not a bad deal. i'll just ask my mom for the extra money, and pay her with the rebate check.
what are ur opinions.

I suggested you sell your current RAM, to get 2 x 1GB because one, if leaves room for upgrades, while 4 x 512 doesn't. I think it's better to run 2 x 1GB rather than 4 x 512, even though the performance difference is not that big. But that ballistix is a great deal, and I'd recommend it.

That RAM at DDR2-533 could possibly limit your overclock, so you should go for the Ballistix, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom