Can install 98 but not XP and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

untruehero

Solid State Member
hi everyone im having major problems, i had some problems a few months ago with over heating so I ended up taking my machine to microcenter and they told me it was either the chip or the board....so i sent the board back because it was under warranty and abit sent me back another AN7 board. so i hooked everything up...i found out my one harddrive was bad...must have burned out when everything was overheating....it was only 40gigs so im not too concerned. then i tried my big 120 gig hd which had 98 on it from when microcenter was working on it...it worked fine...so i tried installing XP...i get this crazy blue screen error when XP is installing in DOS right after it goes over all the drives it says starting setup or something...and it hangs for a bit then gives me a blue screen error...saying the computer needs to restart or damage might be caused....so then i took my hd from my other compter which has 2000 on it...it gets to the 2000 boot screen and has the blocks at the bottom showing it is loading and then it gives me the crazy blue screen it looks to be similar to the XP error screen but not 100%...so this is my dilema....is it my chip that is bad? AMD will take it back and give me another chip that is not as fast as the one i have...but i only have another 10days till the offer stands...it doesnt seem to be over heating but it is sitting at 63c in bios which isnt too cool....i know XP and 2000 run on 32 bit and 98 is 16 so is that the problem...can anyone help me...i dont want to have to buy new parts if i dont have to....im running a AN7 mobo with a barton 3000+ chip, with 512 single stick 400ddr corciar ram...with a 120 gig maxtor hd along with other HDs that im testing....thanks again...i will buy anyone a case of beer if they can fix this...and if they are legal

thanks scott

Try updating your BIOS. Some older BIOS versions don't like 2000 or XP very well. However, your PC doesn't seem old enough to have this problem, but its worth a try anyway.

ill try that beedubaya, abit told me i shouldnt have the problem because just like u said the AN7's bios is able to handle xp and 2000 is not as old as xp....thanks for the reply

it sounds like a ram problem. have you tried replacing your ram?
Download Memtest86 and boot with it to test ur ram

Is you HDD SATA? If it is, best bet is to disable SATA or set to IDE/ATA compatable and then download the latest XP service packs. XP ser pack 1 adds better support for ATA... look for 4n1 drivers for the MBD as well

hey everyone thanks for the reply...

sithspawn i tried memtest and all that happens is that it starts to load and then a bunch of numbers appear on the left side of the monitor from the top to the bottom about 5 letters and numbers wide and it just repeats itself and continues to read the disk...does that sound like something?

hey killians45....the hd is an ide drive, the mobo has the option to sata drive i beleive. i cant download the lastest service pack because i cant even install xp....what is the 4n1 MBD (what is MBD) that you speak of? thanks for all your help.

scott

63 c is way hot for just being in bios. Atleast for me it is. I have an Athlon 2800. Return the chip before warranty runs out.lol

lol thanks jayhawker01, it does seem too hot, when the computer was overheating before it would crash during install or when booting xp so im wondering if the error is still head related which means it has been the chip all along...but when i trade in the chip they are giving me a 1.8 chip for my 2.17 because my chip was not retail...oh well...what a delema...

scott

Since you have a few days to return I would say return it unless we have an expert here that can give him 100 percent answer that it is not the CPU.

that makes sense jayhawker01 and i guess i can make up for the lose of prossesor speed by adding another stick of ram in...im also losing 400 front side bus...but oh well...anyone else have an opinion?

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom