AMD 64 X2 4xxx Vs. 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Is there that much of a different between getting the hogher end CPU's? I know they are obviously better but what I mean is are you better off to save money and over clock? On the other hand can't you just over clock the 6000 and go even faster.

Whats the general consensus, is it worth another $75 or so to get the 6000?

Thanks,

I'd say, if you can afford the X2 6000+, get it...because it's a pretty powerful CPU at stock, and can overclock to 3.3-3.5 range.

If you don't have the extra money to spare, get the 4xxx series, and overclock. They will usually hit the 3.0GHz mark, with good cooling.

This reminds me of another question I had, does the 6000 require anything special or will a standard AM2 mobo with a 24pin/4pin PSU work?

Does over clocking a CPU shorten it's life span or make it die easier?

Thanks for your help.

The 6000+ does not require any special treatment, while being installed on an AM2 board.

Overclocking does reduce the lifespan, but it is very insignificant. The average lifespan of a CPU is about 10 years....and overclocking takes off 1-2 years. I'm assuming you won't be using that CPU for that long, and would be buying a new processor, by then.

That's not bad at all. Yeah I think the longest I have used a CPU for my main system is about 3-4 years.

In case you haven't seen it, NewEgg has the FX-62 for $199 w/free shipping right ow.

Man that just went down in price didn't it? The other FX CPU's are several hundred dollars.

What would be the main benifit of the FX-62 over the 64 X2 6000? The 6000 is actually faster but I'm sure the FX CPU has some major benifits over the x2 but I don't know the details.

Also, NewEgg says it has 64 bit support but you can still install a 32 bit OS using the FX-62 CPU right?

Man that just went down in price didn't it? The other FX CPU's are several hundred dollars.

What would be the main benifit of the FX-62 over the 64 X2 6000? The 6000 is actually faster but I'm sure the FX CPU has some major benifits over the x2 but I don't know the details.

Also, NewEgg says it has 64 bit support but you can still install a 32 bit OS using the FX-62 CPU right?

The FX series is like the extreme editions. They have the unlocked multipliers. Wheres the X2 6000+, doesn't. That about the only advantage, which isn't much of an advantage, IMO.

All current CPUs now are 64-bit capable, and can all run 32-bit OS and applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom