Odd shutdown problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

awcnfl

Beta member
Hello all,

I have a rather unique problem.

First, let me explain my setup.

I have a basic power strip (no surge protection) plugged into a wall, which is where most of my powered computer accessories plug in, including the monitor. The computer itself is plugged into the wall outlet in the plug that the power strip is not using.

Plugged into the power strip are the following: Monitor, printer, small box fan, and 5.1 surround sound speakers.

My problem is this....mind you this ONLY happens when I'm doing something 'resource heavy' such as playing a game.

I'll be playing a game, and everything attached to that outlet shuts off....the computer shuts off, the monitor, and the printer shuts off.

It could be the following problems:

1.)Old Power strip
2.) Bad circuitry with this outlet
3.) MOBO capacitors
4.) PSU

I know it's not overheating, because the whole outlet shuts down. It also makes the lights in the room flicker

My question is....is there something I'm missing from my list? Would unplugging things help?

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any input.

-Adam

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

Hello awcnfl,

If you're playing a game and everything shuts down, it can be that the power outlet has a bad circuitry. There was once a guy that had the same exact problem and it was his power outlet. Have you tried connecting your computer to another power outlet somewhere around the house?

Thank you for your quick reply.

I could, but the nearest outlet is on the other end of the room, and I'd have to move about everything to get the comp over there (the outlet is blocked by a bookshelf full of books). I live in a very cramped area (thank you, population density!).

If I get absolutely desperate, I'll try that. Would easing the load on the circuit help? (unplugging things).

actually your probably drawing to much power out of your room which is hooked up to one power breaker. you need to unplug or turn off all the stuff your not using and it should be fine.. you know if you keep doing that you can actually start a fire and it can burn down the house.. so try to be careful :D

actually your probably drawing to much power out of your room which is hooked up to one power breaker. you need to unplug or turn off all the stuff your not using and it should be fine.. you know if you keep doing that you can actually start a fire and it can burn down the house.. so try to be careful :D

I agree with this. If nothing else shuts off when this happens, you are probably looking at a faulty outlet. If other stuff in the house goes out as well, then there is your issue. Too much load on the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom