RAM Optimizing Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo93

Baseband Member
i'm just wondering if having a RAM optimizing program is something good to have on a computer. i just have some friends who are saying i should get one, but i'm not sure. what do you guys think? if i should have one, think you guys can suggest some free ones?

I think they are right I am using Memory optimizer which is freeware and awesomely effective. It also works perfectly in Vista despite it is not made for it. You should, however, disable the automatic optimization.

Memory Optimizer - DOWNLOAD

On startup my Ram on Vista (1gb ddr) is occupied at 55% and after the optimization it lowers at 32%.

Hello,

Memory optimizers / defragmenters are useless. It simply doesn't make sense to have one, on any operating system...most certainly not in Vista where memory optimizers / defragmenters will only disrupt the Vista SuperFetch prefetcher service and degrade performance.

Windows Article - The Memory Optimization Hoax
TweakHound's Super XP Tweaking Guide - Bad Tweaks
The Truth About Windows Memory Optimization

Many memory optimizers make seemingly attractive remarks such as 'Don't waste your RAM, use this RAM optimizer' but this is simply false. Free RAM is wasteful.

However, memory optimizers are useful in a situation where a process is abnormally consuming a large about of RAM unnecessarily, and it is not being re-allocated (for example, if there is a memory leak). A memory optimizer could then be used to 'flush' the RAM. But for most users this is not a frequent occurrence.

Ideally the system should always be using the entire capacity of RAM as a cache (none of it should ever be unused), so long as it is allocating and re-allocating the resource effectively to each task.

So Alvin, you wouldn't recommend using a RAM optimizer, for it just slows down the system in some ways?

However, it is quite useful in mine cause I only have 1gbyte ram and it's allmost all occupied thanks to many processes.

well i have 1.5gb and on average i have 35 processes, having roughly 850-950mb of RAM free. would you guys say that range is no harm?

Well, vertigo93 you have much ram wasting, I think you should add some important startup progs to occupy some.

RAM optimization is all personal preference. I have 3GB but i also haev a lot more things starting up than most. I personally have almost 10 applicaitons start with Windows only cause i know i will need them at some point thru my day.

So RAM optimization is not necessary if you dont think it is. Personally i know i have enough RAM to convert 2 movies at the same time while i download with uTorrent and browse the web with Opera. I can still play music if i want as well. Along with everything else that is running.

So you see it isnt what we think. It is what you think. If you think the PC runs fine without it. Then leave it.

Unused RAM in Windows XP (and previous Windows OS versions to Windows Vista) is the result of poor and senseless approach to prefetching, hence why Microsoft introduced Vista SuperFetch in Vista - a sensible approach to memory management and prefetching.

In essence, if you find yourself needing to use a RAM optimizing / defragging program, then you've got memory management problems on your system which you should be dealing with first / instead (for example, either due to memory-leaking processes, too many processes or not enough RAM).

Using an analogy, running a RAM optimizing / defragging program to 'clear your RAM' is like pumping water out from your flooded basement, without fixing the cracked water pipe. Fix the cracked water pipe and you won't need to keep pumping the water out of the basement. Fix the cause and you shouldn't have to use a RAM optimizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom