Starting a gaming center...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would only trust a netgear switch there suppose to be best in the biz and there are much smaller lower cost solutions that one has 24 ports whilst you only need 9 and a line in.....

I would only trust a netgear switch there suppose to be best in the biz and there are much smaller lower cost solutions that one has 24 ports whilst you only need 9 and a line in.....

not sure who says they are best in the biz... i'd personally find an older cisco switch

Well I asked around and apparently switches don't let you access the internet... only LAN. :( Anyone know of a cheap 9-14 port router?

Well I asked around and apparently switches don't let you access the internet... only LAN. :( Anyone know of a cheap 9-14 port router?

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Here's a simple little diagram for you.

broadband_router_2.png

I would stick with linksys and pick up a linksys router, quality parts.

Modem > Router/firewall > switch > PCs. No point in getting a 14 port router. I have my room networked with a gigabit switch and access to the internet via a WRT54G router with a link to the switch. I get just as good throughput as anyone.

you could also use the Router for wireless so people can bring there own laptops if they want......

This would only be a good idea if the system calculated how long someone on wireless was playing, unless you felt like keeping track yourself.

why would you need to know how long they have been playing......... just cycle the password for the network every 2hours and people pay for a 2 hour session.

You get programs which allow you to have multiple password for the wireless which all work but have a timed session so when you buy a ticket it really does last an hour worth of access and then the password is eradicated and the wireless disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom