Help needed badly ( computer not connecting to internet )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer1

Beta member
Hi everybody,

This is my first post here, so mods if i've placed this in the wrong forum please don't hesitate to move it to the appropriate forum. I'm in much need of some help.

I've got my girlfriends Sony Vaio Laptop here with me. My problem is related to it not connecting to the Internet. The laptop will connect to the network with no problems, it's got it's own built in wireless adapter, so there's no problems there.

- When I go to open IE7 I get the message " cannot display the page ". When I run the Diagnose Connection option it does it's magic, but turns up with the error message " Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port ( 80 ), HTTPS port (443 ) and FTP port ( 21 ). You might need to contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your firewall software. "

Now i've tried disabling the Windows firewall, i've tried restoring default settings, i've tried everything I can think of. There is no additional Firewall software or Antivirus software or any internet security software.

I've tried it with Firefox, but nothing again.

Any help at all at all would be HUGELY appreciated.

Best Regards,
Flyer1.

Under Internet explorer properties connection is it set up to automatically detect settings for the Lan? has this computer connected to the internet before? Have you tried directly wireing it to you router with a cat5 cable? Is it getting an IP address from your router?

Hi there,

Yeah, it's set up to automatically detect settings for the LAN.

It has been connected to the Internet before with no problems.

I've tried wiring it to the router with a cat5 cable and it still refuses to work on the internet.

And it sure is getting the IP address from the router.

I've tried it on 4 different connections in various places, none of them work :(.

Any ideas ?

Thank you sincerely.

Here's 3 things:
1. Try a different browser, like FireFox or opera (probably won't work either but worth a shot)
2. Uninstall and reinstall network drivers and/or chipset drivers. This has cleared up a few issues for me in the past.
3. Try a system restore to a week or two ago when you didn't have this problem.

Hi jorsoft,

I've tried different browsers, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling network and chipset drivers.

I would like to avoid a system restore if at all possible. A lot of stuff on it that can't afford to be lost.

Try to ping 66.249.91.103 (Google ip address) to see if it is a DNS problem. If you can ping it you have internet connection but the DNS isn't working and you have to configure the connection with your ISP DNS server.
Try to ping the router to see if you are correctly connected to the router.

The router is definately connected to the internet as i'm using it on this PC.

I've tried pinging 66.249.91.103 , and nothing. So it's not connected to the internet. Where do I go after this :|.

Try disabling the onboard mini pci wireless card and use a usb or pcmcia wireless card to connect, just to rule out the possibility of your wifi card being bad. They don't usually break but if that's the case it's cheap and easy to replace.

Hi folks, small bit of progress.

The laptop will connect to the internet in safe mode with no problems. Any suggestions to get it to work in normal mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom