Sony Develops Computing Board, powered by the Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to have a problem with compatibility with my 360. Though it is true not all game are backwards compatible for the console, they tried to do it for most of its popular games. It's a cool feature, but I don't buy new systems to play old games anyways...

Yes, a PC and a game console are both types of computers but PCs serve much more then a game machine to most people. They cannot be compared in price.

Congrats, you've just named everything that the 360 can do as well... Just replace Blu-Ray with HD DVD. Also, the 360 has Xbox live which the PS3 has yet to compete with (One of the main reasons I favor the 360 of the PS3).

Regardless of the power, the development kits for the console a still not taking full potential of it and developers do not like to write for it.

You really wanna compare the 360 to the PS3? Current video game selection aside-

-Xbox 360 with 20gig hard drive- $400
-Wireless Adapt-$100
-Xbox Live One Year- $50
-HD-DVD add-on-$200

There's a $750 sub-par PS3. Not to mention smaller hard drive, non-rechargable controllers, non-upgradable hard drive unless you want to buy multiple 20's or buy a 120gig for almost $200, and it still uses standard DVD 9's, Halo 3 ships on 2 game DVD's because it can't fit on one DVD.

Also, if you wanted you can install Yellow Dog Linux or Ubuntu on your PS3 if you wan't more functionality. Like watching any file type of a movie in VLC, or word processing, or download torrents, or anything for that matter.

Sure it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it still works well for Media, word processing, and web browsing.

-Wireless Adapt-$100 <- Who says I WANT wireless?
-Xbox Live One Year- $50 <- Who says I WANT Xbox live?
-HD-DVD add-on-$200 <- I KNOW I don't want bluray OR HD-DVD.

So...the 360 is still cheaper, because I have NO intention of buying any of that...

Sony FORCES you to buy all that CRAP you don't need...rather than make it an add-on...

I don't want bluray, its ********. HD movies can fit on DVDs, if they used a decent codec..

I don't want a wireless connection for my console, really. I'm fine with hooking it up to my router. Especially if it saves me $100 bucks.

I would consider buying Xbox live, but I wouldn't mind paying for it. The PS3s online sucks so bad...

and how can you put game selection "aside"...its the single most important thing...

^brinson you hit the nail on the head

and LMAO at another one of TheEnd's stupid *** theories about MS
anything thats wrong in this world, he blames on MS

i bet he thinks MS is responsible for 911

EDIT: andi recently bought a broken xbox360 for 100 bucks and i use it for a media center, there is a program called TVersity that allows me to share media from my pc to my 360 easily

and whats this about sony being sued over cell processing?

So...the 360 is still cheaper, because I have NO intention of buying any of that...

Sony FORCES you to buy all that CRAP you don't need...rather than make it an add-on...

I don't want bluray, its ********. HD movies can fit on DVDs, if they used a decent codec..

I don't want a wireless connection for my console, really. I'm fine with hooking it up to my router. Especially if it saves me $100 bucks.

I would consider buying Xbox live, but I wouldn't mind paying for it. The PS3s online sucks so bad...

and how can you put game selection "aside"...its the single most important thing...

They don't force you to buy anything. It's a media center/gaming console, not just a gaming console.

My point was you'd have to spend $$ up the ying yang to make a 360 do similar things.

How in the **** does the PSN suck? It's still in it's infincy and hasn't been out that long at all, and XBox Live has been out forever now. You've probably only heard the PSN sucks and haven't ever used it. If you'd look now, their are tons of demo's and video's to download. On top of that, it's free. Give PSN another year and it's going to own Xbox Live, period.

I said set the game selection aside becasue it's complete ******** to compare the 360's game selection vs a console that hasn't even been out for a year yet. Once this winter and the begining of 2008 rolls around, compare the two and who has higher quality games, then you can talk ****.

yeah HD movies can fit on DVD's you just wont get the full 1080p+DTS-HD,Uncompressed PCM audio, Dolby True HD and all of the other features, not to mention that DVD's can only hold~20minutes of HD video per disc since they use MPEG-2 codec

Your HD statement made me laugh. HD and Blu-ray respectively are only a physical type of media, they use the same codec. Blu-ray just ha s a higher capacity. And HD can fit onto a dual layer dvd, but not much. To get a full length movie with menus and all you need either HDDVD or Blu-ray. And the format wars aren't over so don't go bashing one or the other. IM sure your parents bought betamax :p.

And most people don't complain about the you get everything option of the ps3, at least with ps3s you can run out of one version and have to buy another with features that you didn't come for. With the ps3 you get it all, i don;t have to come back and get something extra that i forgot the first time. That is something that few consoles have done and personally i like it that way.

The major problem with this thread is we went from the performance boosts that a pci express cell bg card you make to which is better ps3 or 360?. its about time a mod should move this to the console section this is so off topic and shouldn't be anywhere on this forum.

Now if you want to talk about how the cell chip could benefit computer lets talk.

Now if you want to talk about how the cell chip could benefit computer lets talk.

Speaking of that...

What gets me is.

Ok so we all know how brutal the Cell is right?

Well does that really matter, if we don't have the operating system and Software for it? I mean, as far as I know, the only OS we can use that uses PPC, is Linux.

And even so, theoretically, it could be good for gaming, but I'm not aware of any games that have been made, or games that are planned to be built off the cell architecture.

But it could be an amazing thing.

Well if i get the press relaes3e right i was thinking it was an add in card. like the MIPS chips you ca get on PCI express cards. If this is true then there will be discrete applications that use it for their own tasks.

if it is a motherboard then there will need to be an OS written for it. And i think for the market they are aiming for it will be a specialized OS for mainframe/ MAJOR image work/ to even a small super computer of sorts.

Well if i get the press relaes3e right i was thinking it was an add in card. like the MIPS chips you ca get on PCI express cards. If this is true then there will be discrete applications that use it for their own tasks.

if it is a motherboard then there will need to be an OS written for it. And i think for the market they are aiming for it will be a specialized OS for mainframe/ MAJOR image work/ to even a small super computer of sorts.

Woa wierd. So they'd have the cell processor as an add-in card ey?

It seems like that would make the most sense, as far as how it's used goes. I'd suggest smaller super computers. It seems like the Cell's are ubber good at crunching numbers, but not general purpose stuff.

So this really doesn't mean much for the desktop user, but more for super computing, main frames, etc.

I can't help but wonder if maybe someday it's possible for their to be a Cell based CPU for desktops and general purpose stuff. It doesn't seem likely, but could their be a possibility?

It would lead to more competition with Intel and AMD, making prices, pretty nice for us.

But if it were to be an add-in card, and hopefully not pricey, I'd get one for folding, since they're good at crunching numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom