How much should I expect to overclock my CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I understand that when a cpu is overclocked everything else on the mobo is overclocked as well, with the RAM being affected the most. I am not looking to overclock or underclock the ram to coincide with the overclocking because as far as I know my ram (Corsair 2x 512mb) cannot be overclocked due to it being of a cheap model. I don't see anywhere in my asus bios that would allow me to set timings either. How far should I be able to overclock the cpu in the system below by bumping up the FSB before the computer as a whole becomes unstable? So far i've ventured up to 2.5 ghz but want a little more.
-----------------------------
Corsair 2x 512mb ram
AMD athlon 64 3700+ processor (@2.2 ghz stock.)
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
ATI Radeon x1900xt graphics card
Antec Neopower v2.0 480W Power supply

You can't expect much without overclocking your RAM as well. You have to find the max of both, then try them together. You could set your CPU up a few MHz and you may boot into Windows, but achieving true stability takes time and lots of testing.

There is an option in my bios for changing the speed at which the ram runs, such as 333mhz, 400mhz, etc. How does this setting relate to the FSB setting of 200 and a FSB multiplier of 11?

Will the extra 66 mhz from the move from 400mhz to 333mhz be made up by overclocking to 2.5 or 2.6 mhz?

That's a good OC'ing mobo. I had an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe and loved the thing. Got my 3800+ dual core from 2.0 to 2.5 without any problems.

just pick up some good memory so you can OC it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom