2 questions on pgrading my PC :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

Baseband Member
alright well iv got 2 questions they shouldnt be to hard i geuss, im just kinda lost.

alright, first of all, id like to know what would be better. having 2 of these cards

XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX 256MB DDR3 SLI Ready PCI Express DL Dual DVI HDTV Video Card PVT84JUDD3 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

or just this one

BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC2 256MB DDR3 SLI Ready PCI Express Dual Link Dual DVI HDTV Video Card BFG86256GTSOC2FE in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I know that the BFG one is pretty good at it comes super overclocked, but is it better than two normal 8600's??

My second question is about this mother board,

Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 NVIDIA Socket 939 MicroATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz OEM Processor in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

it says its duo core, but this duo core stuff is confusing me. is it faster then my pentium 4 2.6 ghz?? and is core 2 duo the same thing as duo core??

i hope its not alot to ask, but i would realy apreciate the help,

thanks alot,

xavier

I would go for an 8800GTS instead of those: it absolutely kills them.

Yes, any dual core (Its said 'dual core' not 'duo core') processor would absolutely KILL your P4 any day.

The core 2 duo is an example of a dual core processor. A C2D would not work in that mobo, as they only work on mobos that have socket 775 and a compatible chipset.

what ever you don't buy any products you have so far linked lol.

The 8600gt is a dud card its overpriced and under performs. The 8800gts 320mb is by far the best card to buy atm.

Don't buy that motherboard its socket 939 which is AMD and is an old processor socket. The easiest way for you to go as its your first build is an Intel C2D build........ so what your budget and then we can reccomend some parts

Yes. Just like the last two people have said, go 775.

939 is AMD's last socket, their current is AM2.

AMD still makes great CPU's, but currently Intel's processors are faaaaaantastic, so with them for sure.

And yes, get the 8800GTS over the 8600. That thing PWNS the 8600GT.

I noticed you linked a 8600GTS that goes for $325. You can pick up a 8800GTS for less then that and it would DESTROY that 8600 for less.

8800GTS is a great card, I can vouche for that.

EDIT: If you do go with a 8800GTS just get the 320MB version. Unless you're going to be gaming at 1600x1200 and up, you don't need the 640meg version.

Maybe in over a year or two you might, but not for awhile.

Go for the 8800GTS 320MB. Don't buy "Superclocked". That's just bull when you could overclock the card yourself easily by sliding up a switch in their software.

Core2Duo would be way faster than the ancient P4s. Running SuperPi my core2duo solves 1million digits in half the time as my P4. Unless you're an AMD fan look for a 775 socket motherboard.

The Otis check your facts the 640mb 8800ts 640mb performs better by only 1fps at high resolutions compare to its320mb brethen.

AMD ill be back out on top within 6 months with the k10 series

Re: 2 questions on upgrading my PC :D

well i just relized i miseplt the topic title, im an idiot :p

anyways, those prices are canadian $'s i should have mentioned that, sorry.

anyways, i dont want to spen more than 400 dollars on my video card, i know the 8800 is realy good, but all the ones i see are like 600 bucks, anyways ill look harder, thanks for everything, and thanks for telling me about the socket thing on the mother board. Il worry about that later though, gunna get the card first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom