Refurbished PC, need advice before buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
I think I found a pretty good deal at Tiger Direct but would really appreciate a few opinions before I buy it.

Here is a link....
$499
TigerDirect.com

I priced building one and even if I use my case and Optical drives it would cost me around $450-$550 to build a comparable system and that doesn't include Vista Premium, plus I can keep my old hardware as a backup PC.

For $499 I don't think I could do much better. The only thing I will definitly upgrade is the video card but that one will last a few months until I get a new one.I was planning on a AMD 64 X2 5400 but again for the price I think the 5000 will be plenty. I'm not sure what mobo it has though so I don't know if that would kill the deal or not. Another main thing is I am sure I will go to Vista out of necessity pretty soon so if I get a system with Vista I won't have to spring for one later, from what I hear you can use the special IT support training (If you know what I mean) free copies now with Vista now and you have to have alegitimate copy to run it, I don't know how true that is.

Thanks for any advice, depending on feedback I will probably get this one tomorrow. Also do you know of any better deals than this one that I can check out?

Edit: One little detail i forgot is my upgrade estimate includes about $125 for a video card.

it's a deal except you only get 3month warranty.
You mention that it will cost you more if you build it. Yes, but the parts will be new and you have much more flexibility.

go for it, if the cheaper the better is what you are after that is the deal you should go for.

Thanks for the info. The only thing that system has that I probably would change is the mobo, I'm not sure what it has but I think it has the Nvidia 6150 chipset.

Since this is a gaming machine, does the ability to play DX10 games lie in the video card and the OS I am running or could the mobo mess me up?

i maybe wrpmg but its purely the card and the OS, only vista can handle DX10 and certain gfx cards

It can handle it, but I think DX10 is designed to only run on vista so gamers will upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom