Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
I have currently got 1 512MB stick of DDR2 667 RAM, and I want to upgrade to 1GB. So will all I have to do is just to put it in and it will be instantly recognised and work? Or will i have to change some settings in the BIOS to make it work properly?

Also, I am going to buy an X1550 grafhics card. Do you think that it will be an improvement over Radeon Xpress 200 integrated? What sort of Watts/amperage will a X1550 need to run properly? Oh and how would I go about disabling the on-board graphics when I have the new graphics installeed?

thanks

just make sure your other stick is 667 too but most time it underclocks to the lowest ram anyway.

As for PSU`s the X1550 isn't a top of the range card so will work with the lowest PSU`s probably from 250W`s. To disable onboard video it`ll be in your BIOS options just look around for onboard video or onboard graphics and disable it.

RAM is just like Plug and Play. Just install it, and you're done. It should be recognized by the way. As baronvongogo said, if you have different speeds in your computer, all the sticks will run at the speed of the slowest stick.

Mostly any graphic card will be an improvement from integrated. You can disable it through the Control Panel as well. In System, then go to the hardware tab, device manager, right click the integrated chip, and click disable, from the drop down menu at the bottom.

As for PSU`s the X1550 isn't a top of the range card so will work with the lowest PSU`s probably from 250W`s. To disable onboard video it`ll be in your BIOS options just look around for onboard video or onboard graphics and disable it.

OK I just looked in my case, at the PS sticker. It says MAX 250W, and 15A on the 12V Rail. Would this be pushing it? I ahve got another from my old PC which is 300W, 15A. Should I change it or just use the 250W one?

I know this is a bit off topic, but is it possible to fold on an X1550 card? If so, what sort of processor would it compare to?

As far as I know, F@H only supports the X1600, X1800, and the X1900 series.

r u talking about folding at home? because i'm running it on my old geforce 4 mx, does that mean nothing is happening?

How can you run it on a GeForce 4? Nvidia cards aren't supported by F@H, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom