Thinking about an HTPC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
goodonebales, honestly, if you wanna throw some power down HTPC alley, you should opt for atleast 4gb of ram, and a qx6700. also, to ensure futureproofing, get the hddvd/bluray combo drives, (2 of them) to make sure everything can copy from one disc to another. that should set you up pretty good, atleast for the next.....2-3weeks.

it'd be silly to spend half of what all that costs on an HTPC.

you planning on using vista or XP MCE?

Riznarf is just a troll, ignore him. All he does is try to get a response.

I'd prolly use a pentium D or a AMD x2 3600-4200 depending on a price, 1gb of ram, a cheaper, but decent video card, a DVD-RW drive and then invest the rest in HDs.

Riznarf is just a troll, ignore him. All he does is try to get a response.

I'd prolly use a pentium D or a AMD x2 3600-4200 depending on a price, 1gb of ram, a cheaper, but decent video card, a DVD-RW drive and then invest the rest in HDs.

agreed.... an HTPC doesn't require that much power (talking about Riznarf's comment):

just enough to watch and store a lot of movies and access to a DVD-ROM/maybe a dvd-rw if u want it maybe a blu-ray drive when it becomes a cheaper

I do get HD channels though...What about TV Tuner cards that are branded as HDTV tuners? Something maybe like this:
Newegg.com - AVerMedia MTVCBPCIW PCI-Express x1 Interface Video Device (White Box) - Retail

If you look at that tuner, you will notice that the highest quality video input on it is the S-Video cable. It turns out that while S-Video is HD, its HD resolution is limited to 480i (I think it might do 576i, but that might be pal). So like I said before, you wont be able to get 720, or 1080 resolutions. HD branding is tricky like that...

If you look at that tuner, you will notice that the highest quality video input on it is the S-Video cable. It turns out that while S-Video is HD, its HD resolution is limited to 480i (I think it might do 576i, but that might be pal). So like I said before, you wont be able to get 720, or 1080 resolutions. HD branding is tricky like that...

Wow, well, that's just a tad bit confusing. But why would I use the S-video inputs? Couldn't I just plug the cable line directly into the cable inputs? I'm still not getting this...I feel like there has to be a solution, otherwise HTPCs would never sell, ya know? Well, for HDTV, at least.

Oh, and as far as the other questions, I'd probably plan on using XP MCE, although I'd rather use a Linux-based system or just XP with MCE-type programs, such as Myth-TV or whatever. I haven't really done enough research about those yet.

I'm glad this topic cropped up. I just built a new machine 2 weeks ago and have my old, still working amd 2800 with 1gb of ram machine sitting on the floor collecting dust. I might turn it into a htpc myself. Any suggestions as far as video capture cards go?

I'm turning a bunch of spare parts into an HTPC...using all my skt939 stuff.

AMD 64 3700+
Biostar Tforce939-6100 (awesome mobo)
1 gig Mushkin Redline XP4000
couple HD's that I had laying around till i buy a bigger one
got Ultra's version of the Aspire Q-pack for 39.99 after rebate (came with a 400W psu that is working well so far)
Lite-on DVD writer

I'm considering this guy right here (remote looks quality):
VL System M-Play Blast - 5.25" Black w/ Blue VFD
-or this right here-
Thermaltake Media Lab Control Panel w/ Remote - Black

Still gotta figure out the video card, video capture card and OS.
I have Vista business, Vista Business 64, and MCE and am still considering between those.

Wish there was a good HD tuner/capture/decoder card out there.

I'm turning a bunch of spare parts into an HTPC...using all my skt939 stuff.

AMD 64 3700+
Biostar Tforce939-6100 (awesome mobo)
1 gig Mushkin Redline XP4000
couple HD's that I had laying around till i buy a bigger one
got Ultra's version of the Aspire Q-pack for 39.99 after rebate (came with a 400W psu that is working well so far)
Lite-on DVD writer

I'm considering this guy right here (remote looks quality):
VL System M-Play Blast - 5.25" Black w/ Blue VFD
-or this right here-
Thermaltake Media Lab Control Panel w/ Remote - Black

Still gotta figure out the video card, video capture card and OS.
I have Vista business, Vista Business 64, and MCE and am still considering between those.

Wish there was a good HD tuner/capture/decoder card out there.

thats a great idea, i'm gonna turn my system into an HTPC, some1 should write a guide callled "Turning Your Old Useless System into an HTPC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom